Old 20-02-2007, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Thornless climbing rose to grow in container

Could someone recommend a rose for the following situation:

I have a west-facing veranda with a transparent roof. I'd like to grow
climbing roses inside the veranda up the walls and under the veranda
roof. I have to grow them in containers - there is no open soil. The
roof is 2 to 3 meters tall, the veranda is 3 by 3 meters.

I'd like to plant 4 roses in the corners. I'd like the roses to be
thornless, long-flowering (all summer long?) and scented. Any colour is
good, but I would prefer pink.

First question - is it it likely to work? Would container grown roses be
vigorous enough to cover the roof?

Second question - what rose would you recommend?

Alla.
Old 20-02-2007, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alla Bezroutchko" wrote in message
Could someone recommend a rose for the following situation:

I have a west-facing veranda with a transparent roof. I'd like to grow
climbing roses inside the veranda up the walls and under the veranda
roof. I have to grow them in containers - there is no open soil. The
roof is 2 to 3 meters tall, the veranda is 3 by 3 meters.

I'd like to plant 4 roses in the corners. I'd like the roses to be
thornless, long-flowering (all summer long?) and scented. Any colour is
good, but I would prefer pink.

First question - is it it likely to work? Would container grown roses be
vigorous enough to cover the roof?

Second question - what rose would you recommend?

Alla.

If you choose a large container and use a soil based compost you would
expect to get about ten years before the plants go down hill.
My choices would be Madam Alfred Carrier which is white
or Veichenblau which is rather optimistically called violet blue!
There are a number of very good pinks with a few thorns but none that I can
recall that are completely thornless
HTH
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 20-02-2007, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/2/07 14:33, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

[...]

Zephirine Drouhin is good with regard to thorns and I see that the
Australians have a range from Wallara (sp?) which they call Smooth Touch. I
don't know that they're available in this country, though.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-02-2007, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Zephirine Drouhin is good with regard to thorns and I see that the
| Australians have a range from Wallara (sp?) which they call Smooth Touch. I
| don't know that they're available in this country, though.

My Zephirine Drouhin was almost completely thornless, and is a good
pink; it was very prone to black spot, though. Madame Alfred Carriere
may have only a few thorns, but they are pretty vicious ones.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-02-2007, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
Sacha writes:

| Zephirine Drouhin is good with regard to thorns and I see that the
| Australians have a range from Wallara (sp?) which they call Smooth
Touch. I don't know that they're available in this country, though.

My Zephirine Drouhin was almost completely thornless, and is a good
pink; it was very prone to black spot, though. Madame Alfred Carriere
may have only a few thorns, but they are pretty vicious ones.

I have Kathleen Harrop, the paler pink sport of Zephirine Drouhin, and
is likewise repeat flowering, thornless and scented, but also all too
prone to black spot. She does however look very good with the rich
purple flowers of morning glory Grandpa Otts climbing with her, so each
year I contemplate trying to find a better variety but then give in and
allow a reprieve.

There seems to be a gap in the market for disease-resistant, thornless
climbers with good scent.

--
Sue

Old 21-02-2007, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Zephirine Drouhin is good with regard to thorns and I see that the
| Australians have a range from Wallara (sp?) which they call Smooth

Touch. I
| don't know that they're available in this country, though.

My Zephirine Drouhin was almost completely thornless, and is a good
pink; it was very prone to black spot, though. Madame Alfred Carriere
may have only a few thorns, but they are pretty vicious ones.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I am afraid that's why I left it off the list, it has never survived a
season in this garden it always dies. I will have a look at M AC I have
never noticed thorns but I don't get close up and personal with it very
often!

Old 21-02-2007, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| My Zephirine Drouhin was almost completely thornless, and is a good
| pink; it was very prone to black spot, though. Madame Alfred Carriere
| may have only a few thorns, but they are pretty vicious ones.
|
| I am afraid that's why I left it off the list, it has never survived a
| season in this garden it always dies. I will have a look at M AC I have
| never noticed thorns but I don't get close up and personal with it very
| often!

At least, I believe that mine is that. I bought it as that, and it
looks exactly like it, but with a small number of large thorns. It
wouldn't be the first time I have bought X and it was Y.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-02-2007, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pridham" wrote:

"Alla Bezroutchko" wrote in message
Could someone recommend a rose for the following situation:

My choices would be Madam Alfred Carrier which is white
or Veichenblau which is rather optimistically called violet blue!
There are a number of very good pinks with a few thorns but none that I can
recall that are completely thornless
HTH

Zephirine Drouhin is good with regard to thorns and I see that the
Australians have a range from Wallara (sp?) which they call Smooth Touch. I
don't know that they're available in this country, though.

Charlie, Sacha,

Thanks. I'll have a look at Madame Alfred Carrier and Zephirine Drouhin.
I'll have to see the thorns myself. Pity about the blackspot.

Alla.

Some roses are more prone to all the ills than others but location might
have some bearing on it, too. Down here in the soggy south west they get
black spot more easily, for example and it seems that the cleaner the air,
the worse the problem! In the 'good old days' of smoggy London, roses used
to do wonderfully, apparently or so the legend goes.

Old 21-02-2007, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pridham" wrote:

"Alla Bezroutchko" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

(remove weeds from address)- Hide quoted text -

Sacha, can you recommend a good spray for black spot and mildew on
roses that can be purchased retail? Many thanks.

Judith at home

Old 21-02-2007, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/2/07 17:15, in article
,

Pridham" wrote:

[...]

Judith, I'll ask the gurus but while we do sell roses, our range is limited
for the very reasons I've outlined above! For example, my son has New Dawn
long-established on a trellis on a granite archway but it gets nasty brown
leaves here and there - not black spot, just 'nasty'. His gardener asked
Ray about it and Ray said it was simply because the rose was so close to the
wall that no air could circulate freely around it. I think he did suggest a
spray but will check on all this.
Both Ray & Matthew hate using sprays both in terms of ecology and time.
David Austin sells what is, apparently, a good range of comparatively
disease free roses and I've read elsewhere that Portland roses are less
prone to disease. I may say that one of the best we have (though it's not
repeat flowering) is Mme. Isaac Pereire which is outstanding for colour,
form and scent. We have that growing on a trellis and pillar set up in the
nursery and it captivates everyone who encounters that fabulous scent.
However, I'll ask them for their recommendations and what that would
translate into non-commercially.
Can you grow roses in your French garden, or is it too cold for them in
winter? I doubt many diseases would survive, anyhow! But I remember going
to the Lot for a holiday and going round a vineyard owned by our hosts
where, at the end of every few rows of vines, roses were growing. At first,
I thought 'how charming' and then it was explained to me that these were a
sort of sacrificial anode and that if they showed signs of mildew, they knew
it was time to spray the vines - another sort of companion planting, I
suppose!

Old 21-02-2007, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 21, 5:37 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 21/2/07 17:15, in article
Can you grow roses in your French garden, or is it too cold for them in
winter? I doubt many diseases would survive, anyhow!

Yes, I have some floribundas in France, growing through gravel without
any sign of any disease!! The ones which pose the problem, in
England, are one year old ramblers; of which 2 are affected of the
four ;which are growing up an untreated timber pergola thing.

Advice would be appreciated, I don't mind resorting to chemicals - it
is better than looking at the foliage of a diseased plant.

JudithL at home

Old 21-02-2007, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

I thought 'how charming' and then it was explained to me that these were a
sort of sacrificial anode
Sacha

and a sacrificial anode is.....?

M.G.Duff will explain if Hubbard cannot.

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 21-02-2007, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 21, 5:44 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

. uk...

I thought 'how charming' and then it was explained to me that these were a
sort of sacrificial anode
Sacha

and a sacrificial anode is.....?

M.G.Duff will explain if Hubbard cannot.

Mike

Mike, stop it, if you are a gentleman, you know that calling a woman
by her husband's surname is rude. Sacha, or Mrs. Hubbard are fine,
you don't need to undermine yourself by using just a surname. Now,
enough, or I can't talk to you about gardening and I would prefer to
do that. If you don't want to talk to me about gardening, then carry
on as you are but it would be a shame.

Judith at home

Old 21-02-2007, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 21, 5:44 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

. uk...

I thought 'how charming' and then it was explained to me that these
were a
sort of sacrificial anode
Sacha

and a sacrificial anode is.....?

M.G.Duff will explain if Hubbard cannot.

Mike

Mike, stop it, if you are a gentleman, you know that calling a woman
by her husband's surname is rude. Sacha, or Mrs. Hubbard are fine,
you don't need to undermine yourself by using just a surname. Now,
enough, or I can't talk to you about gardening and I would prefer to
do that. If you don't want to talk to me about gardening, then carry
on as you are but it would be a shame.

Judith at home

It was explained to me, that you address a person in the same manner as they
address you. Whilst you respect RANK or POSITION, it does not necessarily
mean you have to respect that person.

Equal to all, superior to none.

Mike

'nuf sed?

Mike
Crowe that is if you wish to address me as that. But don't expect respect.

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Very easy to grow climbing rose "Queen Elizabeth" Drobium Garden Photos 0 18-05-2011 09:34 PM
Thornless rose ID Mike Lyle[_1_] United Kingdom 4 04-05-2011 11:19 AM
Thornless rose PatC Roses 2 31-10-2004 05:13 AM
Will a climbing rose grow till it reaches the sun? Lazarus Cooke United Kingdom 3 12-03-2004 11:51 AM
Will a climbing rose grow till it reaches the sun? Lazarus Cooke United Kingdom 0 11-03-2004 11:44 PM