GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Climbing French Beans in September (and not before) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/154325-climbing-french-beans-september-not-before.html)

Trevor 20-02-2007 07:47 PM

Climbing French Beans in September (and not before)

I normally sow my Climbing Fr Beans in early April and plant out in early
May and pick from July.

This year I don't want them ready until September. When should I sow them?
My guess is around late June? - out doors.

(I have sowed them mid-July and planted them in my polytunnel and picked
during Oct/Nov)

La Puce 20-02-2007 08:08 PM

Climbing French Beans in September (and not before)

On 20 Feb, 19:47, "Trevor"
wrote:
I normally sow my Climbing Fr Beans in early April and plant out in early
May and pick from July.
This year I don't want them ready until September. When should I sow them?
My guess is around late June? - out doors.
(I have sowed them mid-July and planted them in my polytunnel and picked
during Oct/Nov)

Hello Trevor! What type do you have this year? I brought back some
Divinel (from Vilmorin). I never plant out but straight sow from late
april to july. So you can sow them in July if you want and you'll
harvest till October.

[email protected] 20-02-2007 09:12 PM

Climbing French Beans in September (and not before)

On Feb 20, 7:47 pm, "Trevor"
wrote:
I normally sow my Climbing Fr Beans in early April and plant out in early
May and pick from July.

This year I don't want them ready until September. When should I sow them?
My guess is around late June? - out doors.

(I have sowed them mid-July and planted them in my polytunnel and picked
during Oct/Nov)

Trevor, my husband leaves England around mid-July until September and
therefore we don't want our beans cropping during the time he is
away. He plants them on the day that he leaves and when we return, we
eat them until the frosts get them. HTH

Judith at home

Trevor 21-02-2007 09:17 AM

Climbing French Beans in September (and not before)

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 20 Feb, 19:47, "Trevor"
wrote:
I normally sow my Climbing Fr Beans in early April and plant out in early
May and pick from July.
This year I don't want them ready until September. When should I sow
them?
My guess is around late June? - out doors.
(I have sowed them mid-July and planted them in my polytunnel and picked
during Oct/Nov)

Hello Trevor! What type do you have this year? I brought back some
Divinel (from Vilmorin). I never plant out but straight sow from late
april to july. So you can sow them in July if you want and you'll
harvest till October.

Hi Helene and thanks Judith. They're Eva. I think as I was struggling to get
a crop in the poly from mid-July sown, I'll try early July - many thanks.