Old 21-02-2007, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ? climber ?

I'm looking for a climber to go up the corner posts of a pergola over my
pond. I'd 'like' something that will grow from a large pot. Not to have tiny
flowers, (like the Wisteria I've seen) as I'd be forever fishing petals from
the pond. Pref. evergreen. Does such a plant exist?
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 22-02-2007, 12:33 AM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyPete View Post
I'm looking for a climber to go up the corner posts of a pergola over my
pond. I'd 'like' something that will grow from a large pot. Not to have tiny
flowers, (like the Wisteria I've seen) as I'd be forever fishing petals from
the pond. Pref. evergreen. Does such a plant exist?
--
ßôyþëtë
You could try Fatshedera lizei. Huge leaves like a Fatsia and evergreen.

It does get flowers in autumn but they are very tiny in clusters like an ivy. You would probably not even notice the petals in the pond or cut them off whan they do come as they are not the main feature of the plant, the large exotic looking leaves are.
Old 22-02-2007, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/2/07 05:42, in article , "BoyPete"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 21/2/07 19:33, in article
,
"BoyPete" wrote:

I'm looking for a climber to go up the corner posts of a pergola
over my pond. I'd 'like' something that will grow from a large pot.
Not to have tiny flowers, (like the Wisteria I've seen) as I'd be
forever fishing petals from the pond. Pref. evergreen. Does such a
plant exist?

You mean you want no flowers? Large or small, you'd still be fishing
them from the pond, yes? Don't know your climate but what about
Muehlenbeckia?

Sorry........SE London. Yes, that looks a possibility, though small flowers
again. Thanks

Ours has never flowered that I've noticed and I don't think I can remember
ever seeing flowers on one in Jersey which is v. similar in climate to
Tresco, where there is a huge one is lovely big swags between trees.
I must just be very unobservant, perhaps but certainly I've seen no
sprinkling of flowers lying around untidily! I'll have to look closer this
year. But it's a good plant though it will need some help just to get
going. I should think it would survive in London unless you get very hard
frosts where you are.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk