Old 21-02-2007, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default plant id please

Please identify this for me. It's very bushy and quite tall. It has a
black berry that wood pigeons were eating avidly which is what made me
notice it.
Thanks. Paul

http://www.unusual-gifts.pwp.blueyon...Photo-0015.jpg

Old 21-02-2007, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul O'Grady" wrote in message
o.uk...
Please identify this for me. It's very bushy and quite tall. It has a
black berry that wood pigeons were eating avidly which is what made me
notice it.
Thanks. Paul

http://www.unusual-gifts.pwp.blueyon...Photo-0015.jpg

Ivy

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 21-02-2007, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
"Paul O'Grady" wrote in message
o.uk...
Please identify this for me. It's very bushy and quite tall. It has a
black berry that wood pigeons were eating avidly which is what made
me notice it.
Thanks. Paul

http://www.unusual-gifts.pwp.blueyon...Photo-0015.jpg

Ivy

Mike

Mike, I'm an ignorant B. But, ivy with a berry?? Just never seen it. Please
educate me. Ta
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 21-02-2007, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

BoyPete writes
'Mike' wrote:
"Paul O'Grady" wrote in message
o.uk...
Please identify this for me. It's very bushy and quite tall. It has a
black berry that wood pigeons were eating avidly which is what made
me notice it.
Thanks. Paul

http://www.unusual-gifts.pwp.blueyon...Photo-0015.jpg

Mike, I'm an ignorant B. But, ivy with a berry?? Just never seen it. Please
educate me. Ta

Yes, ivy has flowers and berries, which are a valuable food source for
birds in late winter when most of the other berries have gone.

Ivy seems to have two growth forms. Firstly it puts out long trailing
stems, which is what you see most of the time. Then, when it has come to
the top of whatever it is climbing and feels it can go no further, if
conditions are right for it, it produces rather more branching stems
which are covered in bunches of tiny flowers followed by berries which
eventually ripen black.

My parents' garden always had masses of ivy berries, so the concept was
very familiar to me. But since moving away from home and living in
different areas of the country, I've realised that finding ivy with
berries is relatively uncommon - especially as most of us are used to
ivy growing decoratively in gardens where it's kept in trim, and so is
always in its exploratory creeping phase.
--
Kay
Old 21-02-2007, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , BoyPete
writes

http://www.google.com/images?svnum=1...erries+-poison
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 21-02-2007, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BoyPete" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
"Paul O'Grady" wrote in message
o.uk...
Please identify this for me. It's very bushy and quite tall. It has a
black berry that wood pigeons were eating avidly which is what made
me notice it.
Thanks. Paul

http://www.unusual-gifts.pwp.blueyon...Photo-0015.jpg

Ivy

Mike

Mike, I'm an ignorant B. But, ivy with a berry?? Just never seen it.
Please educate me. Ta
--
ßôyþëtë

Should have been ..... Ivy?

You aint as ignorant as me, but I 'believe' I have seen Ivy with a berry
which the birds are attracted to.

(Now get shot down in flames by the experts who know it all)

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 21-02-2007, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
BoyPete writes
'Mike' wrote:
[...]

Thank you Kay. That's how I remember it from old rambling gardens/houses

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 21-02-2007, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , BoyPete
writes
'Mike' wrote:
"Paul O'Grady" wrote in message
o.uk...
Please identify this for me. It's very bushy and quite tall. It has a
black berry that wood pigeons were eating avidly which is what made
me notice it.
Thanks. Paul

http://www.unusual-gifts.pwp.blueyon...Photo-0015.jpg

Ivy

Mike

Mike, I'm an ignorant B. But, ivy with a berry?? Just never seen it.
Please
educate me. Ta

http://www.google.com/images?svnum=1...erries+-poison
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Thanks for the link Stewart, that's how I remember it climbing a very old
apple tree in our last house.

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 21-02-2007, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul O'Grady" wrote in message
o.uk...
Please identify this for me. It's very bushy and quite tall. It has a

I am no expert but having spent many hours clearing ivy from trees, walls,
rocks and gates I can confirm this is most certainly ivy.

Mike (the other one)

Old 22-02-2007, 12:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Muddymike wrote:
"Paul O'Grady" wrote in message
o.uk...
Please identify this for me. It's very bushy and quite tall. It has a

I am no expert but having spent many hours clearing ivy from trees, walls,
rocks and gates I can confirm this is most certainly ivy.

Mike (the other one)

Thanks everyone. Seems to be the answer. I had discounted a climber
because it seems like a substantial bush only very tall. Will have a
closer look tomorrow and see what it's climbing on.

Paul

Old 22-02-2007, 07:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:06:24 +0000, K wrote:

A local wood that has not been managed properly for the last 25 years by
the
local authority that was responsible, has received an EU handout and a new
administration.
15 OAP volunteers have been trying to tidy up the mess. Most of the trees
are
covered in ivy. Many are rotten. Lots were blown down in the last big gale
falling across the rotten trunks of trees that were blown down in the big
gale
of 1987. The OAPs have cut through the ivy at the base of each tree, but
this
doesn't seem to have effected the ivy on most trees. Will the ivy
eventually die
back or will it continue to grow?
--

Martin

I had the same problem two years ago when we bought this house. I cut all
the ivy at the bottom and again as high up the trees as I could reach. It
took a few months to die but die it did. Trouble is it looked a bit
unsightly but is now beginning to let go and fall (or allow itself to be
pulled) off. Some of the ivy trunks were over 3 inches dia and have made
useful logs for the fire. I will post a picture later.

Mike

Old 22-02-2007, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul O'Grady" wrote in message
Thanks everyone. Seems to be the answer. I had discounted a climber
because it seems like a substantial bush only very tall. Will have a
closer look tomorrow and see what it's climbing on.

What you're looking at is the mature phase, several plants like ivy
and holly have a mature flowering/fruiting phase and a juvenile -
making vegetative growth phase. This plant probably grew up a rotten
stump that's now fallen over and left the bushy ivy at ground level.
If you look at a mature holly, you'll see the top part of the plant
doesn't have the spiny protection of the lower juvenile branches. You
will see different foliage top and bottom on several conifers like
Chameacyparis species, with the flowers at the top.
--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp

Old 22-02-2007, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21 Feb, 22:07, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
http://www.google.com/images?svnum=1...erries+-poison

Stewart! Third time lucky! I've posted here before trying to get your
attention and I've send an email to your web manager ... but to no
avail. Now that I've got your attention: I'm putting together a
portfolio of over 100 plants and I've come across your wonderful site
and recognised your name (eventually ;o). I would like to use photos
of the Barnsley; Blushing Bride; Burgundy Wine; Pavlova; Bredon
Spring; Candy Floss; Rosea; Olbia which is only for my college and I.
I have credited you on the side and put your details in my references
section. Is that ok?!

Old 22-02-2007, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote

Yes, ivy has flowers and berries, which are a valuable food source for
birds in late winter when most of the other berries have gone.
snipped

The berries make nice Xmas ornamnets if you spray them with gold or silver
paint..........bit late now I know, but reminder for next year :~)
Jenny

Old 22-02-2007, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rod" wrote after...
"Paul O'Grady" wrote
Thanks everyone. Seems to be the answer. I had discounted a climber
because it seems like a substantial bush only very tall. Will have a
closer look tomorrow and see what it's climbing on.

What you're looking at is the mature phase, several plants like ivy and
holly have a mature flowering/fruiting phase and a juvenile - making
vegetative growth phase. This plant probably grew up a rotten stump that's
now fallen over and left the bushy ivy at ground level. If you look at a
mature holly, you'll see the top part of the plant doesn't have the spiny
protection of the lower juvenile branches. You will see different foliage
top and bottom on several conifers like Chameacyparis species, with the
flowers at the top.

I understand that if you take cuttings from the mature growth then you get a
bush ivy that will never put out clinging branches and which will
flower/fruit every year. Very popular in Victorian times I believe.

--
Regards
Bob H