Old 22-02-2007, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Speed cameras

I know this is way off topic but I am sure most of you are drivers and would
like to support a request for increased safety at speed camera sites.

I just took a look at standing E-Petitions and consider this one worth
signing.
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/displaythespeed/

It asks simply for the prevailing speed limit to be posted on the back of
speed cameras. Having witnessed the effects of drivers reacting by hitting
the brakes on seeing a speed camera when they were not even breaking the
speed limit I have just signed it, please do the same.

Mike

Old 22-02-2007, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
I know this is way off topic but I am sure most of you are drivers and
would like to support a request for increased safety at speed camera sites.

I just took a look at standing E-Petitions and consider this one worth
signing.
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/displaythespeed/

It asks simply for the prevailing speed limit to be posted on the back of
speed cameras. Having witnessed the effects of drivers reacting by hitting
the brakes on seeing a speed camera when they were not even breaking the
speed limit I have just signed it, please do the same.

Mike

Sorry Mike, but if you drive within the speed limit, which is always
displayed, then plod with zap guns and speed cameras hold no fear. I see
where you are coming from with rapid braking, but 'Stick to the speed limit'
and ANY braking is not required.

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 22-02-2007, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sorry Mike, but if you drive within the speed limit, which is always
displayed, then plod with zap guns and speed cameras hold no fear. I see
where you are coming from with rapid braking, but 'Stick to the speed
limit' and ANY braking is not required.

I think you miss the point. Have you never been happily driving in what you
believe to be a 40 limit only to spot a speed camera and look franticly
around for a sign confirming your belief you are indeed in a 40, and not be
able to see one. I have many times (I drive over 30,000 miles a year) and
have often slowed to 30 just to be safe. Sadly some drivers brake hard in
this instance causing accidents.

I neither condone nor practice knowingly breaking speed limits, but do
believe the roads would be marginally safer if every camera had the
prevailing limit posted on or near to it.

Mike

Old 22-02-2007, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...

Sorry Mike, but if you drive within the speed limit, which is always
displayed, then plod with zap guns and speed cameras hold no fear. I see
where you are coming from with rapid braking, but 'Stick to the speed
limit' and ANY braking is not required.

I think you miss the point. Have you never been happily driving in what
you believe to be a 40 limit only to spot a speed camera and look
franticly around for a sign confirming your belief you are indeed in a 40,
and not be able to see one.

but don't you read traffic signs and see the speed limits as and when they
change?

Especially on unknown roads and in unknown areas. :-{ ?

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 22-02-2007, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote ...

Sorry Mike, but if you drive within the speed limit, which is always
displayed, then plod with zap guns and speed cameras hold no fear. I see
where you are coming from with rapid braking, but 'Stick to the speed
limit' and ANY braking is not required.

I think you miss the point. Have you never been happily driving in what
you believe to be a 40 limit only to spot a speed camera and look
franticly around for a sign confirming your belief you are indeed in a 40,
and not be able to see one. I have many times (I drive over 30,000 miles a
year) and have often slowed to 30 just to be safe. Sadly some drivers
brake hard in this instance causing accidents.

I neither condone nor practice knowingly breaking speed limits, but do
believe the roads would be marginally safer if every camera had the
prevailing limit posted on or near to it.

Quite, we get a lot of tourists around this area and Straight Road near here
through Old Windsor has a 40mph limit and a camera half way down and often
people doing under 40 suddenly brake when they see the little white lines.
Can be rather off-putting for anyone following.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 22-02-2007, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...

Sorry Mike, but if you drive within the speed limit, which is always
displayed, then plod with zap guns and speed cameras hold no fear. I see
where you are coming from with rapid braking, but 'Stick to the speed
limit' and ANY braking is not required.

I think you miss the point. Have you never been happily driving in what
you believe to be a 40 limit only to spot a speed camera and look
franticly around for a sign confirming your belief you are indeed in a
40, and not be able to see one.

but don't you read traffic signs and see the speed limits as and when they
change?

Especially on unknown roads and in unknown areas. :-{ ?

Of course I do, that's how I manage to have a clean license, but when you
drive through 6 different towns a day its easy to loose track and not be
100% certain of the prevailing speed limit.

This debate is beside the point.
Why don't the powers that be post the speed next to the camera?
So many times I pass through cameras with no speed repeater sign anywhere in
view. Why?
Cameras are supposed to improve safety, posting the speed on them would
reduce reactive braking and make them safer, so why is it not done??

Answers on the back of an envelope please.

Tending to one person badly injured by reactive braking that could have been
prevented by a speed repeater on the camera (the lady driver admitted she
was unaware she was under the speed limit and hit the brakes "just in case")
as I had to do last year is one too many. Yes I know the lad was driving too
close, and yes the braking could have been because a child/old lady stepped
into the road. The simple fact is that if cameras had speed repeater signs
this type of accident would not happen.

Bye the way I love the thruppence and sixpence at Woolies thing.

Mike

Old 22-02-2007, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message

Bye the way I love the thruppence and sixpence at Woolies thing.

Mike

Ah!! But are you old enough to remember it?

"Woolworths, the 3d and 6d Store" Can you remember what the numbers looked
like and where they were positioned in relation to the name of the shop?

By the way, I have a clean licence as well :-)) Always have and I have them
all. Back to my first Provisional.

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 23-02-2007, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:04:12 -0000, "Muddymike"
wrote:

I know this is way off topic but I am sure most of you are drivers and would
like to support a request for increased safety at speed camera sites.

I just took a look at standing E-Petitions and consider this one worth
signing.
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/displaythespeed/

It asks simply for the prevailing speed limit to be posted on the back of
speed cameras. Having witnessed the effects of drivers reacting by hitting
the brakes on seeing a speed camera when they were not even breaking the
speed limit I have just signed it, please do the same.

If you don't know what the speed limit is for a giving area, you
should be made to retake the test. It's all in there.
--

Disclaimer

Pete has taken all reasonable care to ensure that pages published by him
were accurate on the date of publication or last modification.
Other pages which may be linked or which Pete may have published are in
a personal capacity. Pete takes no responsibility for the consequences
of error or for any loss or damage suffered by users of any of the information
published on any of these pages, and such information does not form any
basis of a contract with readers or users of it.

It is in the nature of Usenet & Web sites, that much of the information is
experimental or constantly changing, that information published may
be for test purposes only, may be out of date, or may be the personal
opinion of the author.
Readers should verify information gained from the Web/Usenet with the appropriate
authorities before relying on it.

Should you no longer wish to read this material or content, please use your
newsreaders kill filter.
Old 23-02-2007, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:39:22 -0000, "Muddymike"
wrote:

Sorry Mike, but if you drive within the speed limit, which is always
displayed, then plod with zap guns and speed cameras hold no fear. I see
where you are coming from with rapid braking, but 'Stick to the speed
limit' and ANY braking is not required.

I think you miss the point. Have you never been happily driving in what you
believe to be a 40 limit only to spot a speed camera and look franticly
around for a sign confirming your belief you are indeed in a 40, and not be
able to see one. I have many times (I drive over 30,000 miles a year) and
have often slowed to 30 just to be safe. Sadly some drivers brake hard in
this instance causing accidents.

I neither condone nor practice knowingly breaking speed limits, but do
believe the roads would be marginally safer if every camera had the
prevailing limit posted on or near to it.

It's not the cameras that are missing something, it's the speed signs,
where on earth did they all go?

Old 23-02-2007, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jal jal is offline

In article ,
"'Mike'" wrote:

"Muddymike" wrote in message

I think you miss the point. Have you never been happily driving in what
you believe to be a 40 limit only to spot a speed camera and look
franticly around for a sign confirming your belief you are indeed in a 40,
and not be able to see one.

but don't you read traffic signs and see the speed limits as and when they
change?

Especially on unknown roads and in unknown areas. :-{ ?

Crikey - where do you live? (rhetorical question) Round here
(Tyneside) almost the whole road network is subject to speed limits (and
to hidden cameras as well as stationary marked ones). The speed limits
change from 20 up to 50 - up and down, up and down - throughout. The
dual carriageways are either 40 or 50 for very long stretches. If
you're driving further than 10 miles, you completely lose track of what
speed you should be doing (and the lack of easily visible speed signs);
on the other hand, you do have to push on when you can - you can't do 20
or 30 the whole way!

I'd like to see many more illuminated "Your speed is xxMPH" associated
with the cameras.

BTW: online petitions? An extremely bad idea, and already grossly
discredited thanks to the whinging"I refuse to pay for
roads"/whinging) "petition" organised recently. [response: "well what
would you suggest instead?" Response: "oooh well ah don't know!"]

I work in a university computing service: we discussed running online,
web-based polls years and years ago, and rejected the idea. They may
give an indication of one opinion or another, but they are extremely
unreliable (and selective) in terms of genuine statistical value.

"Roses" (there's your garden content)
[maybe I should have said "bovine manure"!]