Old 23-02-2007, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Short daffodils

Every spring we have daffodils growing on top of the hedges bordering the
lanes near the house. There are masses of them. But this year we've
noticed most particularly that the stems are shorter. Our theory is that
this is because they've come out earlier than usual - anyone else got any
ideas?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-02-2007, 07:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha wrote:
Every spring we have daffodils growing on top of the hedges bordering the
lanes near the house. There are masses of them. But this year we've
noticed most particularly that the stems are shorter. Our theory is that
this is because they've come out earlier than usual - anyone else got any
ideas?

I've not noticed this with the daffs growing in local hedgerows, but
most of those growing around here are naturalised garden varieties
rather than true N. pseudonarcissus. However, the winter was
exceptionally mild and many wild plants that normally die down carried
on growing including a lot of wild grasses. I wonder if it's an
optical ilusion and it's not so much that the daffs are short, but
their companion plants are unusually tall? Just a thought.

Old 25-02-2007, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/2/07 07:26, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
Every spring we have daffodils growing on top of the hedges bordering the
lanes near the house. There are masses of them. But this year we've
noticed most particularly that the stems are shorter. Our theory is that
this is because they've come out earlier than usual - anyone else got any
ideas?

I've not noticed this with the daffs growing in local hedgerows, but
most of those growing around here are naturalised garden varieties
rather than true N. pseudonarcissus. However, the winter was
exceptionally mild and many wild plants that normally die down carried
on growing including a lot of wild grasses. I wonder if it's an
optical ilusion and it's not so much that the daffs are short, but
their companion plants are unusually tall? Just a thought.

I don't think it's an optical illusion because these are growing literally
on top of the hedges and have no other planting with them, other than the
trimmed back twiggy bits of the hedge. It's the normal winter/spring set up
but it's not on the route you take to get to us. It's from the other end,
coming in from Ashburton. I don't know what variety they are but there are
great masses of them in one particular stretch of hedge, so I'm guessing
they were planted by somebody originally and then have naturalised. They're
a marvellous sight and truly lift the spirits but independently, we've both
noticed that they're shorter this year. Our only theory is that the mild
winter has opened them earlier than usual so they haven't attained full stem
length first.

Old 25-02-2007, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 25/2/07 07:26, in article
om, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
Every spring we have daffodils growing on top of the hedges bordering the
lanes near the house. There are masses of them. But this year we've
noticed most particularly that the stems are shorter. Our theory is that
this is because they've come out earlier than usual - anyone else got any
ideas?

I've not noticed this with the daffs growing in local hedgerows, but
most of those growing around here are naturalised garden varieties

I don't think it's an optical illusion because these are growing literally
on top of the hedges and have no other planting with them, other than the
trimmed back twiggy bits of the hedge. It's the normal winter/spring set up

Wild N. pseudonarcissus grow taller if they're growing through dead
ferns/bracken than if there's just very short rabbit-nibbled grass. This
makes sense if you're a daffodil. They don't all flower at once, and
the later ones aren't usually taller.
I don't think yours are short just because they're early, but maybe
because being early means they aren't competing with any other growth,
including their own leaves.

--
Sue ]
Old 26-02-2007, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/2/07 23:33, in article , "MadCow"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
On 25/2/07 07:26, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

Could be they've trimmed the hedges shorter this year, I suppose. These are
the very thick Devon hedges which are sometimes behind a stone wall and are
really very dense. This particular stretch is quite short, probably about
5' to 6' or less but in other parts of our lanes they are 12' high or more
and those don't get daffs on top of them, obviously but growing out of the
side of them where their own feet are in the earth. I must say that our
hedgerows are a glory atm. We have snowdrops, daffodils and primroses all
out together and the lovely thing is that the primroses keep emerging until
around May.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

Short short shoud you keep you bonsais/ Chris C. Grier Bonsai 0 03-08-2004 10:32 AM
Bluebird Houses & Daffodils Poking up was: What to do.... *grin* [email protected] North Carolina 8 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
Daffodils Mceezee Gardening 4 19-03-2003 09:08 AM
Wimpy Daffodils :-( Bippy North Carolina 0 15-03-2003 08:44 PM
Daffodils Beachcomber United Kingdom 8 01-01-2003 04:30 AM