Old 24-02-2007, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Camellia

Good Morning,
I wonder if anyone can help me with a problem I have with a camellia?

We have a fairly large Camellia in our front garden that was planted at
least 20 years ago and has always thrived and had numerous flowers in spite
of our soil being mostly clay.
We've noticed this year that although there are loads of buds some of the
leaves have a black mould type covering.
Would some one be able to advise me what the best treatment would be without
doing the plant any damage.

Many thanks

Dave

Old 24-02-2007, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/2/07 11:18, in article , "Dave"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip

Have a look at this, Dave. If the cause seems to be the correct one, the
cure is here, too:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/camelli...hion_scale.asp

Hi Sacha,

Yep, that seems like the problem! I'll get the spray they recomend and hope
for the best!!

Many thanks for your time

Hope it works for you and all is well.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-02-2007, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 11:18:37 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 24/2/07 10:37, in article ,
"Dave"
wrote:

[...]

Regards
Dave

Sooty mould is very common on camellias, and is caused by mould
growing on the sticky deposits produced by any of several types of
sap-sucking insects such as aphids, scale insects etc. It is
unsightly, but seldom harmful to the plant, and can be washed off
using a sponge if you're really concerned about it. Whether the
sap-suckers themselves need dealing with depends on the severity of
the attack. Soapy water (washing-up water strength) sees off most of
them.

--
Chris