Old 24-02-2007, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting Out - Early start this year

Because of the mild weather I have put my onion sets out in the ground, and
the first lot of potatoes. The onions I put out last week are already
rooting and shooting

Old 24-02-2007, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote ...
Because of the mild weather I have put my onion sets out in the ground,
and
the first lot of potatoes. The onions I put out last week are already
rooting and shooting

You mean to say your ground isn't totally waterlogged?

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 24-02-2007, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
: "Robert (Plymouth)" wrote ...
:: Because of the mild weather I have put my onion sets out in the
:: ground, and
:: the first lot of potatoes. The onions I put out last week are already
:: rooting and shooting
::
: You mean to say your ground isn't totally waterlogged?

No, it drains very well. I worked from boards and trowelled in the potatoes
rather than trenching because of the wetness
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 24-02-2007, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/2/07 18:42, in article ,
"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
: "Robert (Plymouth)" wrote ...
:: Because of the mild weather I have put my onion sets out in the
:: ground, and
:: the first lot of potatoes. The onions I put out last week are already
:: rooting and shooting
::
: You mean to say your ground isn't totally waterlogged?

No, it drains very well. I worked from boards and trowelled in the potatoes
rather than trenching because of the wetness
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Roughly speaking, what area of Plymouth are you in? Anywhere near Dave
Fenwick and his African garden?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-02-2007, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
: On 24/2/07 18:42, in article ,
: "Robert (Plymouth)" wrote:
:
:: Bob Hobden wrote:
::: "Robert (Plymouth)" wrote ...
:::: Because of the mild weather I have put my onion sets out in the
:::: ground, and
:::: the first lot of potatoes. The onions I put out last week are
:::: already rooting and shooting
::::
::: You mean to say your ground isn't totally waterlogged?
::
:: No, it drains very well. I worked from boards and trowelled in the
:: potatoes rather than trenching because of the wetness
::
www.rraa.moonfruit.com
::
::
: Roughly speaking, what area of Plymouth are you in? Anywhere near
: Dave Fenwick and his African garden?

I don't know who that is but i live near Stoke village, there is a google
earth map of our vicinity on our website www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 24-02-2007, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 Feb, 18:42, "Robert \(Plymouth\)" beachcom...@ultimate-
anonymity.com wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
: "Robert (Plymouth)" wrote ...
:: Because of the mild weather I have put my onion sets out in the
:: ground, and
:: the first lot of potatoes. The onions I put out last week are already
:: rooting and shooting
::
: You mean to say your ground isn't totally waterlogged?

No, it drains very well. I worked from boards and trowelled in the potatoes
rather than trenching because of the wetness

Lucky lucky you because really today was so waterlogged - my youngster
left a wellie behind him! But that wasn't on my plot ;o) I'm really
hitching to start but it's no good yet. I want to see a week or two of
sunshine - and the weeds don't seem to be coming up yet as much as I
would like. That's always been my indication that's a good time to get
going )

Old 24-02-2007, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/2/07 19:53, in article , "Robert
(Plymouth)" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

snip
::
: Roughly speaking, what area of Plymouth are you in? Anywhere near
: Dave Fenwick and his African garden?

I don't know who that is but i live near Stoke village, there is a google
earth map of our vicinity on our website
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

We have friends in Valletort Road. Dave Fenwick's garden site is
http://www.theafricangarden.com/

Old 25-02-2007, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
: On 24/2/07 19:53, in article , "Robert
: (Plymouth)" wrote:
:
: Sacha wrote:
: snip
: ::
: : Roughly speaking, what area of Plymouth are you in? Anywhere near
: : Dave Fenwick and his African garden?
:
: I don't know who that is but i live near Stoke village, there is a
google
: earth map of our vicinity on our website
www.rraa.moonfruit.com
:
: We have friends in Valletort Road. Dave Fenwick's garden site is
: http://www.theafricangarden.com/
:
We're not far from Valletort Road but the garden you mention is a few miles
away. The mention of crocosmia brings me out in a rash...lol (I know there
not all bad really)

Old 25-02-2007, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/2/07 08:50, in article , "Robert
(Plymouth)" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
: On 24/2/07 19:53, in article
, "Robert
: (Plymouth)" wrote:
:
: Sacha wrote:
: snip
: ::
: : Roughly speaking, what area of Plymouth are you in? Anywhere near
: : Dave Fenwick and his African garden?
:
: I don't know who that is but i live near Stoke village, there is a
google
: earth map of our vicinity on our website
www.rraa.moonfruit.com
:
: We have friends in Valletort Road. Dave Fenwick's garden site is
: http://www.theafricangarden.com/
:
We're not far from Valletort Road but the garden you mention is a few miles
away. The mention of crocosmia brings me out in a rash...lol (I know there
not all bad really)

Ah, well you won't be wanting any of our home bred one then! ;-) I love
Crocosmia but I think that's they're one of the first flowers I clearly
remember. My grandfather had the bog standard ordinary one in his garden
and for some reason, I was entranced by it.

Old 25-02-2007, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25 Feb, 10:11, Sacha wrote:
On 25/2/07 08:50, in article , "Robert
We're not far from Valletort Road but the garden you mention is a few miles
away. The mention of crocosmia brings me out in a rash...lol (I know there
not all bad really)

Ah, well you won't be wanting any of our home bred one then! ;-) I love
Crocosmia but I think that's they're one of the first flowers I clearly
remember. My grandfather had the bog standard ordinary one in his garden
and for some reason, I was entranced by it.

I rely so much on crocosmia for a splash of colour and just love the
seed heads and the long flowering time. I've had this one for as long
as I can remember, it moved with us from two different houses. I've
always called it 'Lucifer' because that's the only croscosmia I know.
Could you tell which one we have?

http://cjoint.com/?czoYPaeUiy