Old 24-02-2007, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Moss on lawn

"Hello" wrote in message
news
I went into my back garden today to have a tidy up and noticed that there

is
a lot of moss where there was grass last year. My questions are. What

should
I do about it and when should I do it. I have not had this problem before,

have lived here East London for about six years.
Thanks in advance for any help.

you can either learn to live with it
resow grass seed
sow another cover crop rather than grass that is more adapted to the
conditions
take the areas out of grass and gravel it, pave it, put it in to gardens or
whatever

If you are growing more grass then remedy the situation that led to the moss
build up. For example, never cut your grass too low during autumn and
winter. A higher cut helps crowd out the moss. Do something, if you can,
about shade. Shady lawns helps moss crowd out grass. If you have trees
consider thinning them out to allow more light in. Killing moss if fairly
easy as you can buy powders and sprays in garden centres. If you have a
shady area chances are simply planting more grass seed without remedying the
present situation will only result in the same cycle year afer year.

I have had moss. In one instance I took all the grass out and put in into
raised beds and gravel paths. In other situations I simply stopped mowing so
low and pruned some trees.

rob

Old 24-02-2007, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I went into my back garden today to have a tidy up and noticed that there is
a lot of moss where there was grass last year. My questions are. What should
I do about it and when should I do it. I have not had this problem before, I

Old 24-02-2007, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hello" wrote in message
news
I went into my back garden today to have a tidy up and noticed that there
is a lot of moss where there was grass last year. My questions are. What
should I do about it and when should I do it. I have not had this problem
before, I have lived here East London for about six years.
Thanks in advance for any help.

I leave it, as it is easier to maintain than grass, needs far less mowing!

Alan

Old 26-02-2007, 06:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George.com" wrote in message

"Hello" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you , I`ll give it a go.