Old 22-02-2007, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost

I have just bought a Strawberry Tub. In the instructions under the heading
Compost it make a point regarding the composition of the compost being very
important. It says" The mixture should consist of two thirds by one third of
perlite(20 litres) or coarse grit(20 litres/25kg). There should be no
deviation from this mixture otherwise there could be plant failures"

Can anyone please explain to me what this means. I understand that the Tub
hold 80 litres of compost/

Many thanks in advance

Vince

Old 25-02-2007, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Vincent Burgum" wrote in message
I have just bought a Strawberry Tub. In the instructions under the heading
Compost it make a point regarding the composition of the compost being very
important. It says" The mixture should consist of two thirds by one third
of perlite(20 litres) or coarse grit(20 litres/25kg). There should be no
deviation from this mixture otherwise there could be plant failures"

Can anyone please explain to me what this means. I understand that the Tub
hold 80 litres of compost/

Many thanks in advance

Vince

2/3 of compost and 1/3 perlite or grit.
80x2/3 =53L of compost
80x1/3 =27L of perlite or grit.
That seems a reasonable mix but it is not critical to the nearest litre.

Old 25-02-2007, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 25, 5:24 pm, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
wrote:

That seems a reasonable mix but it is not critical to the nearest litre.

Quite. As a relative beginner (well, ish anyway) I tend to read
instructions (in books or with purchases) quite carefully. Frankly It
makes me wonder how the poor buggers managed to grow at all before we
came along to measure everything precisely ;-)
--
Rob