GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What have you achived in the garden this weekend? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/154496-what-have-you-achived-garden-weekend.html)

Muddymike 25-02-2007 05:36 PM

What have you achived in the garden this weekend?

I have had a very satisfying weekend in the garden tackling the ivy that had
been left to do its own thing for years by the former owners. I am trying to
thicken up a very sparse laurel and holly hedge at the front. First step
this weekend was converting this.

http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10023?sort=5

To this.

http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10024?sort=5

Next step will be to do the same from the inside of the fence. Then I want
to fill the gaps with more laurel. or should I plant something else? The
problem being will laurel do well when overshadowed like this.

http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10025?sort=5

Another thought is would some kind of rambling rose grow amongst the laurel
to give some flowers and add a prickly barrier. The area faces East but
there are a lot of trees above and further to the west.

Mike

La Puce 25-02-2007 08:10 PM

On 25 Feb, 17:36, "Muddymike" wrote:
I have had a very satisfying weekend in the garden tackling the ivy that had
been left to do its own thing for years by the former owners. I am trying to
thicken up a very sparse laurel and holly hedge at the front. First step
this weekend was converting this.
http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10023?sort=5
To this.
http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10024?sort=5

You've worked hard!! And so did I. I've just put the veg on for our
roast diner ... I'm very late indeed but I had the last rasberries to
put in, blackcurrants and clear another bed. I'm exhausted but a hot
bath fixed me and I'm so happy :o))

Next step will be to do the same from the inside of the fence. Then I want
to fill the gaps with more laurel. or should I plant something else? The
problem being will laurel do well when overshadowed like this.

What about Photinia x fraseri (Red Robin for Robert here ;o) which
would bring colour and make the hedge you're trying to do.

http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10025?sort=5
Another thought is would some kind of rambling rose grow amongst the laurel
to give some flowers and add a prickly barrier. The area faces East but
there are a lot of trees above and further to the west.

You'd have job maintening the rose through the laurels I'd think. I'd
go for variegated folliage and colourful folliage for this area.