GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Grass going yellow (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/154498-grass-going-yellow.html)

George.com 25-02-2007 04:03 AM

Grass going yellow

"Rich" wrote in message
I seeded several bits of the lawn last year where builders bits and
pieces had been on them during an extension. It grew very well but now
appears to be yellowing at the top Its fairly long at the moment. I
put quite a bit of compsot on soil to start it off.
Anything I can do to help?
Thanks
Rich
Westerly 2219 DAVICO

now or long term? things going yellow are sometimes a sign of nitrogen
deficiency BUT if you are still in the depths of winter and the grass is not
growing much it doesn't need much nitrogen. It will have put much of its
energy in to its roots. Moreover I don't know what type of grass you are
growing. Yellowing can also be a lack of sunshine.

Longer term you can look after the lawn. My suggestion, what seems to work
for me anyway, feed with a good slow release organic fertiliser such as a
poop based one. I am using used coffee grounds as I can get them free. Mow
your lawn higher than normal and mulch the grass back in to the soil, don't
use a catcher. This reduces the need for fertilising by 1/2 I think as it
retains nutrients on site. Let clover establish itself as it fixes nitrogen.

rob