Old 25-02-2007, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Container Cabbages and Sprouts!

Yes, I know the idea is perhaps a little off the wall, but I have just built
a six foot by three foot 'container' (actually, its one of those link-a-bord
thingys), and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as regards my
desire to plant some cabbages and sprouts in it. I don't consider myself
very worldly in vegetable planting (I am a mere container potato man), but,
as I love to eat cabbages and sprouts, can I do these in a container this
size, and are there any good varieties to use to get the best results within
the size constraints?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 25-02-2007, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek White" wrote in message
Yes, I know the idea is perhaps a little off the wall, but I have just
built a six foot by three foot 'container' (actually, its one of those
link-a-bord thingys), and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as
regards my desire to plant some cabbages and sprouts in it. I don't
consider myself very worldly in vegetable planting (I am a mere container
potato man), but, as I love to eat cabbages and sprouts, can I do these in
a container this size, and are there any good varieties to use to get the
best results within the size constraints?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Oh, and the depth is about three foot.

Old 25-02-2007, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek White" wrote in message

"Derek White" wrote in message
Yes, I know the idea is perhaps a little off the wall, but I have just
built a six foot by three foot 'container' (actually, its one of those
link-a-bord thingys), and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions
as regards my desire to plant some cabbages and sprouts in it. I don't
consider myself very worldly in vegetable planting (I am a mere container
potato man), but, as I love to eat cabbages and sprouts, can I do these
in a container this size, and are there any good varieties to use to get
the best results within the size constraints?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Oh, and the depth is about three foot.

Quick answer is of course you can, and because of the nature of the
container you can probably plant closer together than recommended - the
cabbages will do better than the sprouts, I should think. Buy plants in a
few weeks and pop them in. Have a Google for "container gardening" or
"square foot gardening" - there are heaps of leads to good advice.

Chris S

Old 25-02-2007, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gill Matthews" says...
Grow one of the sprouts like Peer Gynt or Bedford fillbasket that support
a high
planting density (50 cms between plants) some other varieties need
distance
of 80+ cms between the plants and you do not seem to have much space.

Also if you soil veers towards acid add some lime 25g/sq m ish

Beat me to it, but tall sprouts will need staking if you grow them raised up
into the wind.

--
Regards
Bob H