Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-02-2007, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Overpotting ?

HI All
A nice parcel of 'common' and 'exotic' tubers arrive in the post today
(common = fresias & achimenes, exotic to me, at least being Gloriosa
and Sandersonia).

The last two warned against 'overpotting'.
At the risk of asking a silly question - I'm guessing that this means
'don't put them in too big a pot'...
..... am i correct ??

The gloriosa, in particular, is a very strange-looking beast - being a
long tuber, a bit like a very long, fat potato chip - and it was quite
a challenge to find a suitable container to sit it in and fit into the
propogator. Finally ended up with a fruit-juice carton with one side
cut out and drainage holes added, laid on its side....

Now, when the thing bursts into life, I'm not sure how I can get it
into a suitably large pot without 'over-potting' it....

Maybe I can 'cheat', as you might with chitted potatoes, and cut the
tuber in half - ending up with two 3" tubers rather than one 6"
tuber....

Any thoughts please ??

Having to resort to 'indoor gardening' as we've got one of those 'soft
Irish days' out here today - visibility just about as far as the
garden gate, if you're lucky g

Thanks
Adrian