Old 26-02-2007, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Moss and lawn sand

I have a lot of moss in my 'lawn'. It gets worse every time I scarify
it! Clearly there's an underlying problem such as compacted soil that
I need to address in the fullness of time (I have aquired a
hollow-tine aerator for the purpose). In the interim, I'm thinking of
lawn sand to kill the moss. Prof. Alan Gemmell (sp?) of GQT fame many
years ago, had a recipe for lawn sand involving ferrous sulphate. Can
anyone remember the recipe? Is it worth making my own, or is
commercial stuff with modern chemicals more effective these days?

--
Chris

Old 26-02-2007, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg writes:
| I have a lot of moss in my 'lawn'. It gets worse every time I scarify
| it! Clearly there's an underlying problem such as compacted soil that
| I need to address in the fullness of time (I have aquired a
| hollow-tine aerator for the purpose). In the interim, I'm thinking of
| lawn sand to kill the moss. Prof. Alan Gemmell (sp?) of GQT fame many
| years ago, had a recipe for lawn sand involving ferrous sulphate. Can
| anyone remember the recipe? Is it worth making my own, or is
| commercial stuff with modern chemicals more effective these days?

I doubt it. There should be recipes on the Web.

However, be warned that you may simply end up with bare patches until
the moss regrows :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-02-2007, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
I have a lot of moss in my 'lawn'. It gets worse every time I scarify
it! Clearly there's an underlying problem such as compacted soil that
I need to address in the fullness of time (I have aquired a
hollow-tine aerator for the purpose). In the interim, I'm thinking of
lawn sand to kill the moss. Prof. Alan Gemmell (sp?) of GQT fame many
years ago, had a recipe for lawn sand involving ferrous sulphate. Can
anyone remember the recipe? Is it worth making my own, or is
commercial stuff with modern chemicals more effective these days?

--
Chris

Chris - depending on your definition or age lawn sand is just a mixture of
Ferrous Sulphate with a diluent such as sharp sand. Most versions now
contain a bit of Nitrogen containing stuff, such as Ammonium nitrate.
You can make your own,but I doubt that it is still legal to prepare your own
products for garden use. In any event mixing these three ingredients is a
pain. Expect an armed visit from the authorities if you start to actively
seek out pure Ammonium nitrate:-)
Save your money and get the drainage right first and then perhaps use a bit
of lawn sand, ready made.

Old 27-02-2007, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
I have a lot of moss in my 'lawn'. It gets worse every time I scarify
it! Clearly there's an underlying problem such as compacted soil that
I need to address in the fullness of time (I have aquired a
hollow-tine aerator for the purpose). In the interim, I'm thinking of
lawn sand to kill the moss. Prof. Alan Gemmell (sp?) of GQT fame many
years ago, had a recipe for lawn sand involving ferrous sulphate. Can
anyone remember the recipe? Is it worth making my own, or is
commercial stuff with modern chemicals more effective these days?

--
Chris

Don't bother with the sand at this stage. Just dissolve ferrous sulphate in
warmish water, and then spread over affected areas with a watering can. Moss
will be over-fertilised, die and turn black. But it is only a short term
remedy. Three months later, you will have at least as much moss as you have
now, and it will keep returning until you make major improvements to the
drainage (or dig everything up and make a new lawn). After using the tine
aerator, filling the holes with coarse horticultural sand will help to
improve drainage.

Bevan

Old 27-02-2007, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 27 Feb, 09:39, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

[...]

The recipe we used in the seed shop I worked in for a short time in
the 1960s had Ammonium sulphate instead of 'Nitram', the one we were
given for City & Guilds was similar. If you mix a lot of the dry
ingredients your teeth will be stained black (temporarily) by the
Ferrous Sulphate.

Old 27-02-2007, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

ups.com...
wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

[...]

Yes ammonium sulphate is the normal nitrogen source particularly these days.
We used to mix the nitrate as it required less material to get the right
amount of nitrogen. I guess the black teeth came from the alkaline saliva
reacting with iron to give that black iron oxide.
Happy times --not acceptable these days--Health & Safety.
I must admit to getting and irresistible urge to withdraw into a locked room
and participate in a bit of illicit mouth pipetting of sulphuric acid:-)

Old 28-02-2007, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bevan Price" mynameATTTTfreeukDOTTTcom wrote in message

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
[...]

aye, and never cut your lawn too short and deal with any shade issues.

rob

Old 28-02-2007, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"George.com" writes:

| aye, and never cut your lawn too short and deal with any shade issues.

Even better, learn to love your moss :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-02-2007, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the suggestions. I must say, making up my own sand and
getting it evenly mixed does sound a bit of an effort. I like the idea
of watering on a solution of ferrous sulphate (I've seen one oz. in
two gallons recommended as a dilution), but I do take the point about
improving the drainage whether I use sand or a solution. In a year or
two, I might even replace the whole thing, but I've more urgent
projects in hand ATM (like finishing the pond I started last autumn!).

--
Chris

Old 02-03-2007, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 22:26:42 +1300, "George.com"

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
[...]

It's not so easy to deal with shade issues, when the shade is caused by

your
house.

give your house a prune.

rob