Old 01-03-2007, 07:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default And....

Sacha wrote:

On 28/2/07 20:59, in article , "Carol
Hague" wrote:

Good thing I did too, because when I got there one of my green-tent
cloches had been blown over by the wind - the metal frame was upside
down in the broad beans and the cover fabric was almost in someone's
garden on the other side of the allotments. I retrieved it, repositioned
it and pegged it down as firmly as I could, supplementing the inadequate
pegs that came with it with some bits of paving slab and short garden
canes.

I take my hat off to you for even attempting to wrestle with such a
situation!

Thanks - but there really wasn't much choice - it was that or leave it
to be blown away again :-(

Seems moderately secure at the moment, but I foresee a trip to a camping
shop and the purchase of some rather stouter tentpegs in the near
future.....

At least the peas planted underneath it hadn't come up yet, so there was
nothing to be damaged there.

For some idea of the size of the thing, here's a picture of the three
cloches in the snow a couple of weeks ago :-

http://www.wrhpv.com/temp/monopoly_howses.jpg

Although two of them have been moved since then, so they don't look
quite so much like they're waiting for a large red version of themselves
to arrive :-)

The bench in the picture was apparently built by the father of the
previous allotment holder who had had the plot before him. I feel like
I'm taking over a piece of history....

I then had a chance to read the little booklet that comes with the
daleks - do they *really* need to tell people not to put glass and metal
in their compost bins? How daft do they think we are?

My Godson swears he received a packet of peanuts on a plane trip which said
"open packet. Eat peanuts". I still don't believe him but nowadays, I do
wonder!

We've been offered peanuts on a plane before and when they arrived they
were actually broad beans! Quite nice really - I think the the Swiss
flight attendants had been taught "peanuts" as the generic name for any
small crunchy things in packets :-)

--
Carol
"Never trust a man wearing leather shorts and a plastic dressing gown"

Old 01-03-2007, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 28/2/07 20:59, in article ,
"Carol
Hague" wrote:
I then had a chance to read the little booklet that comes with the
daleks - do they *really* need to tell people not to put glass and metal
in their compost bins? How daft do they think we are?

My Godson swears he received a packet of peanuts on a plane trip which
said
"open packet. Eat peanuts". I still don't believe him but nowadays, I do
wonder!

I bet it also said "Warning this product may contain nuts"

Mike (the nutty one)

Old 01-03-2007, 07:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Carol Hague" wrote
I then had a chance to read the little booklet that comes with the
daleks - do they *really* need to tell people not to put glass and metal
in their compost bins? How daft do they think we are?
Carol

Instructions here on how to read the instruction manual :~))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAWR6hzZek
Jenny

Old 01-03-2007, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Bob Hobden wrote:

High winds and sudden heavy downpours today, just back from shopping in
Windsor, R.Thames looks dangerously high across Runnymede meadow.

We got much the same here for most of the day after a fine sunny
start, but I prefer it warmer, wet and windy to dry and cold - it
keeps my stuff in the garden much happier. I've just worked out the
averages here for the 3 months of 'winter' (Dec. Jan & Feb) and it
comes as no surprise that temperatures were higher. However, the
amount by which they increased compared to last year was a bit of an
eye-opener:

Average max Dec - Feb 2006/07 : 11.3C
Average min Dec - Feb 2006/07 : 7.6C

Nights when temps fell below 0C : 0
Days when temps failed to exceed 5C : 0

Average max Dec - Feb 2005/06 : 8.7C (about 1C.lower than the average
in previous 5 years)
Average min Dec - Feb 2005/06 : 4.9C (about 0.7C lower than the
average in previous 5 years)

Nights when temps fell below 0C : 5
Days when temps failed to exceed 5C : 8

This winter has allowed near continuous growth on many plants that
normally shut down as temperatures fall and has even enabled limequats
(lime x kumquat) to continue ripening. A few surprises for me were
Bauhinia yunnanense - still in almost full leaf, Ipomoea indica -
holding about 20% of its foliage and already starting to shoot,
Begonia luxurians - not only continued growth, but carried on
flowering throughout, even if the rain did spoil them. The latter is
now well over 7 feet tall and will have to be pruned back by half
within the next few weeks. Roll on summer!

Old 01-03-2007, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , JennyC
writes

"Carol Hague" wrote
I then had a chance to read the little booklet that comes with the
daleks - do they *really* need to tell people not to put glass and metal
in their compost bins? How daft do they think we are?
Carol

Instructions here on how to read the instruction manual :~))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAWR6hzZek
Jenny

.... Love it! Have passed it on to my colleagues in "dead tree
publishing" :-)

Klara

Old 01-03-2007, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:

"Carol Hague" wrote
I then had a chance to read the little booklet that comes with the
daleks - do they *really* need to tell people not to put glass and metal
in their compost bins? How daft do they think we are?
Carol

Instructions here on how to read the instruction manual :~))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAWR6hzZek

giggle

I shall show this to my husband, who's a software engineer. I have a
feeling it may strike a chord :-) Thank you!

Old 01-03-2007, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 07:46:31 +0000, JennyC wrote
(in article ):

"Carol Hague" wrote
I then had a chance to read the little booklet that comes with the
daleks - do they *really* need to tell people not to put glass and metal
in their compost bins? How daft do they think we are?
Carol

Instructions here on how to read the instruction manual :~))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAWR6hzZek
Jenny

Oh yes, I've seen that one before, and think it's priceless! My favourite
sign on foodstuffs was a container of milk which said Contents: Contains
Milk.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 01-03-2007, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Mar, 07:46, "JennyC" wrote:
Instructions here on how to read the instruction manual :~))http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAWR6hzZek

ROFL!!! Simply brilliant, thank you very much. Just loved the bit:
"... 'the 'book', or however you pronounce it" )))

Do this again please, but on Monday morning. Dank je wel.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 1 Mar, 07:46, "JennyC" wrote:
Instructions here on how to read the instruction manual
:~))http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAWR6hzZek

ROFL!!! Simply brilliant, thank you very much. Just loved the bit:
"... 'the 'book', or however you pronounce it" )))

Do this again please, but on Monday morning. Dank je wel.

Thanks to Martin actually :~))
Jenny

Old 01-03-2007, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Mar, 15:58, "JennyC" wrote:
Thanks to Martin actually :~))

Lets cut the middle woman then. Martin, put me on your mailing
list ;o)

Old 01-03-2007, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

My Godson swears he received a packet of peanuts on a plane trip which
said
"open packet. Eat peanuts". I still don't believe him but nowadays, I do
wonder!

My son had a peice of clothing that had a label on it which read, 'part
cotton, part other stuff' and 'wash when dirty'!

I didn't believe him until he showed me it!

Alan

Old 02-03-2007, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Feb, 20:29, Sacha wrote:
......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you. We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Admired my potatoes now through, swept the leaves and dead flowers
from my patio, enjoyed the scent of true orange blossom and jasmine,
cut last years bizzy lizzy back to about 4 inches ready for new
flowers and growth, cut back my poinsettias watered all my nice new
outdoor seedlings. My hibiscus is just about to open in flower, then
sat on my terrace with a nice long cold beer. :-)