Old 18-04-2003, 06:32 PM
JimM

Default Advice on hops

Last year I put in a hop which grew well with 2 stems (bines ?)
During winter I cut this right back as per the instructions and this year it
has started to sprout but with at least eight stems. Do I allow all 8 of
these to grow or should I cut back the surplus and leave the 2 healthiest to
grow.
It's for decorative purposes only, to cover a pergoda I don't use the hops
for brewing so not interested in what they taste like

Thanks
Jim

--
Remove BRAIN before replying

Old 18-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
JimM wrote:
Last year I put in a hop which grew well with 2 stems (bines ?)
During winter I cut this right back as per the instructions and this year it
has started to sprout but with at least eight stems. Do I allow all 8 of
these to grow or should I cut back the surplus and leave the 2 healthiest to
grow.
It's for decorative purposes only, to cover a pergoda I don't use the hops
for brewing so not interested in what they taste like

Well, you can either cook a few stems like asparagus (they are good)
or let the lot grow. Or whatever. It really doesn't make much
difference - hops are VERY tough.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-04-2003, 04:56 AM
William Tasso

Jim W wrote:
Simply dig it up and
divide each section into new plants to give away (or use as guerilla
plantings!-) //

"guerilla plantings" ?

conjures a rather odd image of folk in balaclavas bearing trowels.

--
William Tasso

Old 19-04-2003, 11:56 AM
David W.E. Roberts

Jim,
where did you get the hop?
I have seen them growing wild in hedgerows but not in garden centres.
Cheers
Dave R

Old 19-04-2003, 09:56 PM
JimM

I got my hop from www.hopshop.co.uk but can't remember what variety it was.

HTH

Jim

--
Remove BRAIN before replying
"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1ftnwky.bthkycii8i9oN%00senetnospam@macunlimi ted.net...
You could be asking either Jim, but anyway;-)

I got mine several from Agroforestry Research Trust

http://www.agroforestry.co.uk/

2 named Cultivars (one is 'Fuggle' I cannot remember the other)
A second golden hop (H. lupulus 'aureus') came from a garden centre but
turned out to be male. I now have a female from a fellow URGler which
is supposed to be golden though its looking a little dark right now.

For the record the females get the proper 'hops' the male plants do not.

If anyone wants some I have several offsets/runners going spare that
need to be dug up!
Email me if you're interested.

They do have them in a lot of garden centres, but they won't look like
much right now as they are only just sprouting up from the ground (they
die right back in winter)
//
JimW

To Email, remove nospam from my email address

Old 20-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Jim W

Hussein M. wrote:

Jim W) wrote:

JimM wrote:

Last year I put in a hop which grew well with 2 stems (bines ?) During
winter I cut this right back as per the instructions and this year it
has started to sprout but with at least eight stems. Do I allow all 8
of these to grow or should I cut back the surplus and leave the 2
healthiest to grow. It's for decorative purposes only, to cover a
pergoda I don't use the hops for brewing so not interested in what they
taste like

Thanks Jim

Up to you.. Hops are pretty vigourous so you may have to control it in
years to come anyway. You will find that you may get runners srputing
away from the plant in roughly a straight line.. THis indicates an
underground runner with nodes. Simply dig it up and divide each section
into new plants to give away (or use as guerilla plantings!-)

Guerilla planting? The only plant I know that requires guerilla tactics
for planting in the open spaces is C. sativa.

What's it with hops then? Am I missing something?

You mention C. sativa.. a fairly close relation of the hop.. I believe
you can graft the former onto the latter.;-) Hops used to make beer?

Guerilla planting, yep, use of waste ground for 'open' planting and
cultivation;-)

//
Jim
Old 22-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Jim W

JimM wrote:

[...]

JimW (the other one;-))

Hops being chewed up Kayla Gardening 0 12-08-2004 02:15 AM
Hops? Andy Hunt United Kingdom 145 10-03-2004 04:18 AM
Hops? Andy Hunt United Kingdom 1 02-03-2004 04:14 AM
Growing hops? Shelley Gardening 1 02-03-2004 03:02 AM
Hops compost Mark Edible Gardening 3 03-02-2004 03:55 PM