Old 18-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Leek seedlings?

Some of the leek seedlings are about an inch high.

What do i do with them?

Should I leave them longer or try to transplant them now?

Alan

Old 18-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Alan Holmes see sig for reply address wrote:

Some of the leek seedlings are about an inch high.

What do i do with them?

Should I leave them longer or try to transplant them now?

Leave them a bit - they don't mind mild crowding.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-04-2003, 09:56 PM
The Devil's Advocate

They need to thicken out and grow more than that before you plant them out.
They should be outdoors now or in a cooler area indoors. Are they growing
well as a weak liquid feed may help in case the compost is out of umph! Thin
pencil thickness about 6 inches high is how I transplant them, anything
smaller never seems to catch up, at least that's how it seems

Alan Holmes wrote:
: Some of the leek seedlings are about an inch high.
:
: What do i do with them?
:

Old 18-04-2003, 10:08 PM
geoff

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Some of the leek seedlings are about an inch high.

The longer a seedling is when transplanted finally, the deeper one is able
to plant it and the longer is the white part when lifted. I've always
waited until they're about 6-7 inches long before using an old shovel handle
as a dibber and "dibbing" a 6 inch hole in which the seedling is placed and
lightly watered in. Mind you, the seeds are very thinly sown to start with.

Geoff

Old 18-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

Some of the leek seedlings are about an inch high.

What do i do with them?

Should I leave them longer or try to transplant them now?

Leave them longer. The usual advice is to leave them until they are
about pencil thickness. You might need to thin them at this stage if
they are very crowded, so that they can develop properly.

Janet G

Old 21-04-2003, 12:23 AM
Alan Holmes

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Some of the leek seedlings are about an inch high.

What do i do with them?

Should I leave them longer or try to transplant them now?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Alan

Leek surprise Frogleg United Kingdom 5 14-03-2004 01:48 PM
Leek damage Robert United Kingdom 3 17-09-2003 09:23 AM
Leek spacing? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 4 02-08-2003 10:02 PM
Leek seeds Alan Holmes United Kingdom 0 24-03-2003 04:44 PM
Leek query? Mary Fisher United Kingdom 0 19-10-2002 06:29 PM