Old 18-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Paul Hutchings

Default Protecting undergound electrical cabling?

What would people suggest as a cheap way to afford a bit of protection to
some low votage (24v) electrical cable running between a shed and a pond
pump?

Basically we're talking protection from the elements and from
rodents/anything else that might nibble at it..

Hosepipe seems the obvious choice, but the local Focus and builders
merchants don't seem to have anything other than "normal" garden hose,
which isn't wide enough..

regards
Paul
paul at spamcop.net
Old 18-04-2003, 08:08 PM
JimM

Personally I've just buried mine in the ground and covered with
bricks/slates to stop me putting a spade through it. Weather shouldn't be a
problem but if you do want to sheath it in something I would have thought
that standard hosepipe would stop most things chewing through it. For
something more robust you could try 15mm plastic plumbing pipe.

Jim

--
Remove BRAIN before replying
. 1.4...

paul at spamcop.net

Old 18-04-2003, 09:32 PM
geoff

"Paul Hutchings" wrote in message
. 1.4...
What would people suggest as a cheap way to afford a bit of protection to
some low votage (24v) electrical cable running between a shed and a pond
pump?

I used some garden hosepipe. If ever I need to put thicker wire in it will
be simple.

Geoff

Old 19-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Essjay001

Hose pipe seem to work for me. Have you thought about the blue pipe that is
used for running water outside it has a larger diameter than std green hose.

The chap that had my house before me laid a mains cable to the garage about
a foot down and laid a water pipe over the top. Whether he did it
intentionally or not I don't know, but when my son-in-law tried to sink a
pond in there he got very wet before he got to the cable.

Paul Hutchings scribbled:

Old 19-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 23:25:53 +0000 (UTC), Essjay001 wrote:

Have you thought about the blue pipe that is used for running water
outside ...

I'd advise against that as there is a standard for underground
services:

==========
diy/general2 #3755, from pr, 265 chars, Jan 31 22:00 00
Comment to 3754.
----------
Black = LV/MV* electricity
Red = HV* electricity
Yellow = gas
Blue = potable water
Grey = telecomms
Green = cable telly, and by extension OLO telecomms
Orange = traffic signals
Purple = other road-related comms systems

* LV 250V, 250 MV 500, HV 500V

-pR

--
Cheers
Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.

Old 19-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Warwick Dumas

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.network...

Red = HV* electricity

* LV 250V, 250 MV 500, HV 500V

Bloody hell.

Old 19-04-2003, 07:33 PM
Warwick Dumas

For my propagator (which is on pond cable) I bought the actual rigid cable
conduit and couplers. Can't remember how much for though, I'm afraid.
(Although the couplers were 10 or 20 p each). This was for laying under
slabs however.

the local Focus and builders
merchants don't seem to have anything other than "normal" garden hose,
which isn't wide enough..

Are you sure you're using the right cable here? Unless it came with the pump
it sounds like you might not be. Even armoured cable which takes more than
mains power is not always as thick as that! Mains-voltage low-ampage pond
cable is about 6mm thick (if that makes any sense).

Old 19-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Little Badger

Paul
Use proper plastic conduit with sealed joins! Only way to be sure!

Badger

paul at spamcop.net

Old 19-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 19:09:35 +0100, Warwick Dumas wrote:

Red = HV* electricity

* LV 250V, 250 MV 500, HV 500V

Bloody hell.

Er, why? 11kV under ground is *very* common. I think there are parts
of the supergrid under ground as well, 250kV. If not some of the 125kV
stuff will be, probably oil encased and the oil circulated to provide
cooling.

Old 19-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 19:16:18 +0100, Warwick Dumas wrote:

Are you sure you're using the right cable here? Unless it came with
the pump it sounds like you might not be. Even armoured cable which
takes more than mains power is not always as thick as that!
Mains-voltage low-ampage pond cable is about 6mm thick (if that
makes any sense).

OP said 24v ie low voltage and thus high amperage for the same power.
High amps means lots of copper, means bigger cable.

Old 20-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Alan Holmes

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.network...
On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 19:16:18 +0100, Warwick Dumas wrote:

Are you sure you're using the right cable here? Unless it came with
the pump it sounds like you might not be. Even armoured cable which
takes more than mains power is not always as thick as that!
Mains-voltage low-ampage pond cable is about 6mm thick (if that
makes any sense).

OP said 24v ie low voltage and thus high amperage for the same power.
High amps means lots of copper, means bigger cable.

Except that a pump will be very low power.

Not many amps!

Alan

Old 20-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Alan Holmes

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.network...
On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 23:25:53 +0000 (UTC), Essjay001 wrote:

Have you thought about the blue pipe that is used for running water
outside ...

I'd advise against that as there is a standard for underground
services:

==========
diy/general2 #3755, from pr, 265 chars, Jan 31 22:00 00
Comment to 3754.
----------
Black = LV/MV* electricity
Red = HV* electricity
Yellow = gas
Blue = potable water
Grey = telecomms
Green = cable telly, and by extension OLO telecomms
Orange = traffic signals
Purple = other road-related comms systems

* LV 250V, 250 MV 500, HV 500V

The query was for low voltage cable.

Alan

Old 20-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 23:53:10 +0100, Alan Holmes wrote:

Have you thought about the blue pipe that is used for running
water outside ...

I'd advise against that as there is a standard for underground
services:

Black = LV/MV* electricity
* LV 250V, 250 MV 500, HV 500V

The query was for low voltage cable.

So you should use black conduit.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Sarah Dale

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 21:12:57 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 19:09:35 +0100, Warwick Dumas wrote:

Red = HV* electricity

* LV 250V, 250 MV 500, HV 500V

Bloody hell.

Er, why? 11kV under ground is *very* common. I think there are parts
of the supergrid under ground as well, 250kV. If not some of the 125kV
stuff will be, probably oil encased and the oil circulated to provide
cooling.

Possibly Dave, Warick is questioning your definition of the voltages - as
I also did. The ususal bands are (IIRC!):

LV is usually defined as 200 - 600V (1 phase) or 400 - 1000V (3 phase).
MV is 1kV - 11kV - 33kV(3phase)
HV is 33kV and higher (up to 400kV in this country)

There is also ELV and SELV - definitions of which you should look up in
BS7676 (The IEE Wiring Regs) - these are extra low voltages.

Sarah

paul at spamcop.net