Old 01-03-2007, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Species Dahlias

Sacha,
I have been looking at this site and some look very similar to the
seedlings I had.
http://www.dahlia-nds.co.uk/Specie_Dahlia.htm
But have seen a lot of other species I would like to get my hands on
in other sites.
I can but drool
David Hill

Old 01-03-2007, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/3/07 11:47, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

Sacha,
I have been looking at this site and some look very similar to the
seedlings I had.
http://www.dahlia-nds.co.uk/Specie_Dahlia.htm
But have seen a lot of other species I would like to get my hands on
in other sites.
I can but drool
David Hill

I like that D. campanulata *very* much.
There's a pic of D. imperialis in The Garden magazine this week. Ours is
still flourishing in the greenhouse but I must say that it's more of a
curiosity than a thing of great beauty. The one you gave us is much nicer
though not as tall. We got D. imperialis to flower in the garden last year,
right at the end of the summer.
The D. excelsa looks like the one we had from you as to form but the colour
is too purple on that site. Yours is a much nicer colour than that so I
wonder if it's the colour register or if you have some as yet undetected
species!
BTW, did we give you D. Engelhardt's Matador when you were here last? It's
a fabulous colour and has lovely bronze foliage. We got it from a chap in
Cumbria and as far as I know, he was the only person with it at that time,
though I think a few others have it now. It's a really lovely plant.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-03-2007, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 1 Mar, 12:25, Sacha wrote:
On 1/3/07 11:47, in article
. com, "Dave Hill"

wrote:
[...]

That's a variety I don't have Sacha, It is listed twice in the
National Dahlia society listings, though the earlier listing has no
grower in the UK with it, just 4 in Europe, The second Has just one
grower in Cumbria with it.
Sounds an interesting variety,
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 01-03-2007, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/3/07 20:58, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

On 1 Mar, 12:25, Sacha wrote:
On 1/3/07 11:47, in article
. com, "Dave Hill"

wrote:
[...]

That must be the chap we got it from. I can't remember his name but I
remember he's in Milnthorpe because I've stayed with friends there. His
business is quite small but he's a genuine enthusiast and very
knowledgeable, it seemed to me.

Sounds an interesting variety,

I'll try to make sure you get one. Give me a nudge if too many weeks go by!
;-)

Old 03-03-2007, 12:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com, Dave
Hill writes
Sacha,
I have been looking at this site and some look very similar to the
seedlings I had.
http://www.dahlia-nds.co.uk/Specie_Dahlia.htm
But have seen a lot of other species I would like to get my hands on
in other sites.
I can but drool
David Hill

I had a seed of Dahlia merckii which, once grown, I put into the garden/
noone told me it would go berserk! It spread quite fast and I now have
quite a few seeds I saved from last year if anyone wants a go at it.
It seems to have survived the winter as well!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 03-03-2007, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
On 1/3/07 11:47, in article

I like that D. campanulata *very* much.

Oh now I prefer the excelsa, very pretty. David once sent me a HUGE
dahlia, (a Japanese name which I can't recall) It is fabulous very
'weird' and last for ages in a vase.

Janet
Old 03-03-2007, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 3 Mar, 00:42, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Sacha
writes

On 1/3/07 11:47, in article
I like that D. campanulata *very* much.

Oh now I prefer the excelsa, very pretty. David once sent me a HUGE
dahlia, (a Japanese name which I can't recall) It is fabulous very
'weird' and last for ages in a vase.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

I think you mean Tsuki- ytori-no-shisha, White fimbriated Cactus.
It's strange, I've had what I was given to understand was D. Merkyii
but it never got over 18inches, I have just ordered seed to see the
difference as it is supposed to get to around 6ft, also seed of D.
merkyii white.
It would be interesting to try a FEW of your seed as well Janet.
Just wondering if you put a few drops of bleach in the water for cut
dahlias, and for other flowers as well?
David hill

Old 04-03-2007, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article om, Dave
Hill writes

I think you mean Tsuki- ytori-no-shisha, White fimbriated Cactus.

Yes that's the one, absolutely over the top but certainly a show
stopper!

It's strange, I've had what I was given to understand was D. Merkyii
but it never got over 18inches,

Same here, with a paleish pink flower, though the people 'in the know'
round here seemed to see nothing wrong with it. It has spread however to
about 3 foot or more and loads of leaves.

I have just ordered seed to see the
difference as it is supposed to get to around 6ft, also seed of D.
merkyii white.

Can I order the excelsior from you?

It would be interesting to try a FEW of your seed as well Janet.

OK will send some. Maybe a few others as well? I have ordered from HPS,
RHS, Plants of Distinction, Chiltern seeds, Plant World, T&M, Suttons
and Unwins this year! Packets of seeds all over the place.

Just wondering if you put a few drops of bleach in the water for cut
dahlias, and for other flowers as well?

Well, only put the Japanese dahlia and the large purple cactus in a
vase, Never liked indoor plants otherwise unless they were things such
as freesia or a branch of something that smells nice. I really don't
like watching flowers steadily die in a vase, gives me the heebie
jeebies.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 4 Mar, 00:23, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article om, Dave
Hill writes

[...]

I am almost afraid to ask if you have seen this seed list Janet
http://www.specialplants.net/seeds.html
I just hope I can cope with everything I have to do this spring, I am
sure I have around 100 lots of seed to sow and then care for after as
well as doing around 6000 or more cuttings from over 300 varieties of
dahlias and rooting around 3000 chrysanth cuttings, not to mention
cuttings of everything else I should, and shouldn't, be taking.
I have to go back to the hospital at the end of the month for a check-
up re my knees, I think I'll ask if they can fit me with an extra set
of arms.
I also have to find time to put up a 12 x 8 greenhouse for the wife.
Just wish I still had the energy and strength I had 30 years ago.
Things are not helped by having committed to do a plant sale at the
end of April, so I have to get a load of things ready for that, and as
the wife has not been all that well for the past year I can't rely on
her doing the sale for me. She has a full time job so doesn't help
much as she is to tired in the evenings and weekends.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 04-03-2007, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com, Dave
Hill writes

I am almost afraid to ask if you have seen this seed list Janet
http://www.specialplants.net/seeds.html

Yes Derry watkins, she has a stall at Chenies Flower show every year
which is about 2 miles up the road.
Have her Agastache Painted lady but found some seeds were labelled rare
but weren't (IYSWIM)

I just hope I can cope with everything I have to do this spring, I am
sure I have around 100 lots of seed to sow

Ditto !

I have to go back to the hospital at the end of the month for a check-
up re my knees, I think I'll ask if they can fit me with an extra set
of arms.

Good idea maybe one with useful fingers that can double up as dibbers
and/or secateurs?

Things are not helped by having committed to do a plant sale at the
end of April, so I have to get a load of things ready for that, and as
the wife has not been all that well for the past year I can't rely on
her doing the sale for me.

I'm sorry to hear that David, hope the spring will make her feel better.
A new greenhouse is BOUND to make her feel energised!