Old 01-03-2007, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default An empty Canvas.....

I am a beginner gardener and my garden has no flowers or shrubs in at
all.

Is there a good guide to what I can plant, how much it costs and what
conditions suit it?

Is the best garden one where you plant different plants etc so that
something is flowering all year round?

Would a BnQ have an advisor (or perhaps better a proper garden centre
if I could find one?) that would be able to plan what to plant and
when?

I'm assuming now(ish) coming out of winter is a good time to plant
stuff?

Old 01-03-2007, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/3/07 14:59, in article
, "405 TD Estate"
wrote:

I am a beginner gardener and my garden has no flowers or shrubs in at
all.

Is there a good guide to what I can plant, how much it costs and what
conditions suit it?

Is the best garden one where you plant different plants etc so that
something is flowering all year round?

Would a BnQ have an advisor (or perhaps better a proper garden centre
if I could find one?) that would be able to plan what to plant and
when?

You'd be much better off going to a nursery or gc where people grow the
plants and know what will suit your gardening needs.

I'm assuming now(ish) coming out of winter is a good time to plant
stuff?

If things are container grown, you can put them in at any time of year.
When you go to the nursery, be sure you know what aspect the plants will be
facing because sun, shade, no sun, damp soil etc. all affect what you can
put where. You will be helped by looking at what neighbours grow, too and
perhaps asking their advice.
And lastly, if you let us know the area in which you live, there's a good
chance somewhere here can advise you both on plants and on garden centres
and nurseries near you.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-03-2007, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

If things are container grown, you can put them in at any time of
year.

Yes and no!

Yes: You can plant containerised at any time.

No: I you plant containerised in late spring/summer you need to commit to a
much more intensive watering programme than if you planted in the
winter/early spring, or better still in the Autumn

pk

Old 01-03-2007, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"405 TD Estate" (shame) wrote ..
I am a beginner gardener and my garden has no flowers or shrubs in at
all.

Is there a good guide to what I can plant, how much it costs and what
conditions suit it?

Is the best garden one where you plant different plants etc so that
something is flowering all year round?

Would a BnQ have an advisor (or perhaps better a proper garden centre
if I could find one?) that would be able to plan what to plant and
when?

I'm assuming now(ish) coming out of winter is a good time to plant
stuff?

First you need to decide what sort of garden you want by looking at
magazines, visiting gardens etc to get some ideas about hard landscaping,
paths, walls, patios, sheds, pergolas, ponds, water features, etc. Of course
a patio should get the evening sun if possible so you can use it when home
from work, a shed tucked away out of site, a pond needs sun to make lilies
flower etc. These have to be made first.
By then, by looking at the pictures of gardens you will have some idea of
the type of planting you like, plain with a lawn and lots of summer bedding,
overgrown tropical, herbaceous borders etc. from that point you ask again
here and go to a very good GC every couple of weeks and buy plants that are
in flower naturally at that time. Then you will have a garden that always
has something of interest to you.
Please ignore these instant makeover programs, unless you have limitless
pockets and superb knowledge it cannot be done and even then they always
plant too close so it looks good instantly, but I bet they have problems
within a year.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 01-03-2007, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am a beginner gardener and my garden has no flowers or shrubs in at
all.

Is there a good guide to what I can plant, how much it costs and what
conditions suit it?

Is the best garden one where you plant different plants etc so that
something is flowering all year round?

This might be useful :~)
http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantselector/default.aspx

Would a BnQ have an advisor (or perhaps better a proper garden centre
if I could find one?) that would be able to plan what to plant and
when?

I'm assuming now(ish) coming out of winter is a good time to plant
stuff?

Yes
Jenny

Old 01-03-2007, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"405 TD Estate" (shame) wrote ..
[...]

Good advice from Bob.
How big is the garden....sunny, shady, etc
What do you want to do out there?
Children , pets, washingline etc...
Jenny

Old 01-03-2007, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 1 Mar, 14:59, "405 TD Estate" wrote:
I am a beginner gardener and my garden has no flowers or shrubs in at
all.

Is there a good guide to what I can plant, how much it costs and what
conditions suit it?

Is the best garden one where you plant different plants etc so that
something is flowering all year round?

Would a BnQ have an advisor (or perhaps better a proper garden centre
if I could find one?) that would be able to plan what to plant and
when?

I'm assuming now(ish) coming out of winter is a good time to plant
stuff?

I would get out and walk your neighbourhood looking at other peoples
gardens to see what is growing well, also your local parks, where you
can see trees and shrubs in a more mature state.
Your local library is a good place to brows gardening books to get
ideas for design and plants, and when you come across a book you don't
want to hand back then is the time to buy it.
After this preperation then visit one or two of your local Nurseries,
you will generaly get better help and advise than at B&Q or many
garden centres.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 01-03-2007, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Mar, 14:59, "405 TD Estate" wrote:
I am a beginner gardener and my garden has no flowers or shrubs in at
all.
Is there a good guide to what I can plant, how much it costs and what
conditions suit it?
Is the best garden one where you plant different plants etc so that
something is flowering all year round?
Would a BnQ have an advisor (or perhaps better a proper garden centre
if I could find one?) that would be able to plan what to plant and
when?
I'm assuming now(ish) coming out of winter is a good time to plant
stuff?

Everybody has asked you the right questions, though like with every
thing in life you need to plan what you want to do, what you want to
grow and write down a list of things you'd like to see in your
garden.

There's lots of guides around and from all I think the link below is
the best one for you. It's not too difficult and if you don't
understand then go back to us and ask us questions more specifically.
Read through it - it will give you an idea of the tasks and what to
do. You won't need to do it all, but sit in your garden and write down
the ideas and where you think you'd like to see a plant, a climber,
even a vegetable patch.

There's lots of help around you, more than you can realise. I'm
helping lots of people doing their gardens - from mothers with far too
much to do, to elderly people who cannot do the harder work, to
community gardens and allotments where we turn up en masse and get
cracking at week ends! It has to be enjoyable first - so don't hurry
and worry. Start slowly and little by little. It takes a long time to
do a great garden )

Where do you live?

http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/lib2/howgardn.htm

Old 01-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 405 TD Estate View Post
I am a beginner gardener and my garden has no flowers or shrubs in at
all.

Is there a good guide to what I can plant, how much it costs and what
conditions suit it?

Is the best garden one where you plant different plants etc so that
something is flowering all year round?

Would a BnQ have an advisor (or perhaps better a proper garden centre
if I could find one?) that would be able to plan what to plant and
when?

I'm assuming now(ish) coming out of winter is a good time to plant
stuff?
Firstly can I say "how exciting!" Not many people are lucky enought to start with an empty canvas but then that makes me ask the question is it a new build? If so you will have little or no topsoil and the first thing to do would be to sort the ground out otherwise anything you plant will struggle or die.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote
I would get out and walk your neighbourhood looking at other peoples
gardens to see what is growing well, also your local parks, where you
can see trees and shrubs in a more mature state.
Your local library is a good place to brows gardening books to get
ideas for design and plants, and when you come across a book you don't
want to hand back then is the time to buy it.
After this preperation then visit one or two of your local Nurseries,
you will generaly get better help and advise than at B&Q or many
garden centres.

Welcome back Dave.

I'll add another vote re the library. They're an excellent resource for
books (and sometimes videos or dvds) on all aspects of gardening and
garden planning, which would otherwise cost a fortune to buy. If you're
not already a member, find out about separate shelf locations, as the
Dewey numbering system, if they use that, can separate garden planning
from the books about plants and growing, and there are also some really
good 'oversize' ones that might be kept on other shelves as well.

Also don't rush anything, because you'll probably change your mind
several times before you know what you really want!

A good way to have an enjoyable day out once the season gets going, plus
get information, ideas and sometimes bargain plants at the same time, is
to look out for local garden open days. The owners are often very
knowledgeable and pleased to be asked about their star plants.

Lastly, good luck and keep reading the ng because as I've found out
you'll get some great tips and info here too!

--
Sue

Old 02-03-2007, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I'm in Coventry, the garden faces south west.

At the moment with the sun in the sky the left fence (easterly one)
casts a big shadow over most of the garden and certainly that border.
The garden is meduim sized (sorry I'm not good at sizes...)

I would like a nice green lawn with shrubs/flowers in all 3 borders
(left right and back) but not to be too thick or it will take up too
much garden! Also a water feature and maybe a herb garden would be
nice.

I think looking at books in the lirbary is a good idea and maybe some
sketches...

Old 02-03-2007, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2 Mar, 12:31, "405 TD Estate" wrote:
I'm in Coventry, the garden faces south west.

At the moment with the sun in the sky the left fence (easterly one)
casts a big shadow over most of the garden and certainly that border.
The garden is meduim sized (sorry I'm not good at sizes...)

I would like a nice green lawn with shrubs/flowers in all 3 borders
(left right and back) but not to be too thick or it will take up too
much garden! Also a water feature and maybe a herb garden would be
nice.

I think looking at books in the lirbary is a good idea and maybe some
sketches...

I know it sounds pedantic but medium size tells us nothing, Try pacing
out its length and width that will give us a much better idea.
If you live on a new estate your garden could be 7 paces wide and 10
paces long. On an older estate it could be 10 paces by15., and with
old housing a medium size garden could be 10 paces by 30 paces.
An old country cottage could well have ar4ound half an acre as a
medium sized garden.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries