Old 01-03-2007, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Jackdaws!

Ours have suddenly reappeared but goodness knows where from. Does anyone
know where they go on their holidays?!
They're twitching small twigs off an ash tree as I write this and will no
doubt be bunging up my study's chimney with their nest building again. I'm
very happy to see them and to hear their chattering and squabbling echoing
down into my fireplace!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-03-2007, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Ours have suddenly reappeared but goodness knows where from. Does anyone
know where they go on their holidays?!
They're twitching small twigs off an ash tree as I write this and will no
doubt be bunging up my study's chimney with their nest building again.
I'm
very happy to see them and to hear their chattering and squabbling echoing
down into my fireplace!

I have had guards fitted on the chimneys to stop this, and hopefully stop
the buggers swearing down the bedroom chimney early in the morning.

Mike

Old 02-03-2007, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/3/07 09:10, in article ,
"Muddymike" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Ours have suddenly reappeared but goodness knows where from. Does anyone
know where they go on their holidays?!
They're twitching small twigs off an ash tree as I write this and will no
doubt be bunging up my study's chimney with their nest building again.
I'm
very happy to see them and to hear their chattering and squabbling echoing
down into my fireplace!

I have had guards fitted on the chimneys to stop this, and hopefully stop
the buggers swearing down the bedroom chimney early in the morning.

Mike

Our bedroom fireplace was blocked up some years ago by previous owners so we
get only the faintest echo. The chimney we really had to worry about was
the one into which the Aga flue escapes and that has been fitted with
guards. My study chimney could only be reached by putting up a scaffold and
as that was going to be so expensive we decided that sweeping out the
chimney once a year would cost a lot less! It's difficult to get at some of
the chimneys from the roof here because of the many pitches of the valley
gutters that the gothic nature of the architect inspired!

Old 03-03-2007, 03:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
Ours have suddenly reappeared but goodness knows where from. Does anyone
know where they go on their holidays?!
They're twitching small twigs off an ash tree as I write this and will no
doubt be bunging up my study's chimney with their nest building again. I'm
very happy to see them and to hear their chattering and squabbling echoing
down into my fireplace!

We have a pair that nests in one of our chimney pots each year - my
favourite Corvid by far. They're such handsome birds and most
entertaining to watch. The only problem was two years ago when one of
the recently fledged young chose the wrong pot to return to and, after
an hour's clattering, ended up in the living room! It was successfully
caught and released, none the worse for its experience - did a good job
of sweeping the chimney as well :-)

Will
--
lancre dot net - The personal domain of Will and Cath Wilkinson.
Send e-mail to news dot will at lancre dot net
Old 03-03-2007, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/3/07 03:57, in article , "Will
Wilkinson" wrote:
snip
We have a pair that nests in one of our chimney pots each year - my
favourite Corvid by far. They're such handsome birds and most
entertaining to watch. The only problem was two years ago when one of
the recently fledged young chose the wrong pot to return to and, after
an hour's clattering, ended up in the living room! It was successfully
caught and released, none the worse for its experience - did a good job
of sweeping the chimney as well :-)

I think the rooks are as interesting and love the way the ones in our
rookery jostle and swear and shout at each other to get out of the way in
the breeding season. They fly right up from the bottom of our garden to the
top of a hill behind us where there's a copse. From there, they pick up one
twig and fly back - twig carrying female always accompanied by empty beaked
male, apparently - to their rookery. Quite often, they drop the twig onto
the lawn but for some reason, instead of popping down a few feet to pick it
up, they do the whole lumbering back to the copse and start again. I'm
wondering how they're all going to manage this year because a macrocarpa in
the church yard, which was part of the rookery, has blown down.
The jackdaws have done that down the chimney thing in the past and on one
occasion with truly disastrous results. It fell down the dining room
chimney and in blundering at the windows, trying to escape, smashed 5 out of
10 very old and delicate Venetian wine goblets I had on a table in the
window. Some were repaired by a clever shop in London and the rest had to
be chucked - broke my heart!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

blackbirds or jackdaws Kate Morgan United Kingdom 8 21-05-2009 01:52 PM
Jackdaws Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 7 02-03-2008 04:18 PM
Jackdaws to Buzzards Kate Morgan United Kingdom 20 29-11-2005 11:40 AM
OT Do Jackdaws kill Bats Sad Sid United Kingdom 49 04-10-2003 01:49 AM