Old 02-03-2007, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Moving A Mature Fuschia Bush?

I would like to move a mature fuschia bush - it's currently causing a
problem when in full growth and in bloom as it's immediately next to my
front path and has to be pruned back constantly during the summer. I don't
know the variety but its pinkish red flowers lasted well into December and
leaves only dropped during the foul weather at the end of January. I have
now cut it back to about 18 inches in height and it's a mass of woody stems
that's over 12" wide in one direction and over 24" wide in the other
direction. Will it take being dug up and split and planted somewhere more
suitable? I live in the Northwest of England.

TIA

Howard

Old 02-03-2007, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Howard Haigh wrote:
: I would like to move a mature fuschia bush - it's currently causing a
: problem when in full growth and in bloom as it's immediately next to
: my front path and has to be pruned back constantly during the summer.
: I don't know the variety but its pinkish red flowers lasted well into
: December and leaves only dropped during the foul weather at the end
: of January. I have now cut it back to about 18 inches in height and
: it's a mass of woody stems that's over 12" wide in one direction and
: over 24" wide in the other direction. Will it take being dug up and
: split and planted somewhere more suitable? I live in the Northwest of
: England.
:
: TIA
:
: Howard

I would say so, especially as it's already cut back. You just have enough
'cool' weather left for it to get a bit of root growth before the sun's heat
which would make it struggle. Not sure about splitting, sometimes other
rooted bits drop off when you dig them up

Old 02-03-2007, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MELANIE MCDONALD" wrote in message
Why not take a few cuttings as a back-up then if it doesnt survive the

move
you'll have some babies and wont lose it completely.
Mel.

Hmmm I should have done that last year (when I really started gardening
properly) I suppose but I only appreciated how much more open and welcoming
my small front garden is with the fuschia cut back hard - hence my decision
to try moving it...

Old 02-03-2007, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/3/07 17:23, in article ,
"Howard Haigh" wrote:

"MELANIE MCDONALD" wrote in message
Why not take a few cuttings as a back-up then if it doesnt survive the

move
you'll have some babies and wont lose it completely.
Mel.

Hmmm I should have done that last year (when I really started gardening
properly) I suppose but I only appreciated how much more open and welcoming
my small front garden is with the fuschia cut back hard - hence my decision
to try moving it...

Unless it's a terribly unusual one, it shouldn't be an expensive tragedy if
it doesn't make it and you have to replace it. Get the new hole ready and
pop your Fuchsia straight into it and in the apparently unlikely event of a
dry spell, make sure it's watered.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk