GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Advice please. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/154845-advice-please.html)

Kevin 04-03-2007 04:13 PM

Advice please.

I have an area of garden that has been covered in bark chips. I now wish to
level and raise it slightly with a layer of top soil prior to seeding as a
lawn.

Will it be OK to cover the bark chippings?

Advice please?

Robbo 04-03-2007 04:22 PM

Advice please.

"Kevin" wrote in message

I have an area of garden that has been covered in bark chips. I now wish
to level and raise it slightly with a layer of top soil prior to seeding
as a lawn.

Will it be OK to cover the bark chippings?

Advice please?

Several choices...

Rake them all off and prepare for seed with sand/soil mix after sorting
proper drainage.
or
Cover them with a healthy thickness of soil and rake level then seed.
or
Cover with woven polypropylene, soil/sand mix then seed
or
Douse liberally with paraffin/diesel mix and set fire to...

Ok.....I was kidding about the last one ;-)

p.k. 04-03-2007 06:02 PM

Advice please.

Robbo wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message

I have an area of garden that has been covered in bark chips. I now
wish to level and raise it slightly with a layer of top soil prior
to seeding as a lawn.

Will it be OK to cover the bark chippings?

Advice please?

Several choices...

Rake them all off and prepare for seed with sand/soil mix after
sorting proper drainage.
or
Cover them with a healthy thickness of soil and rake level then seed.
or
Cover with woven polypropylene, soil/sand mix then seed
or
Douse liberally with paraffin/diesel mix and set fire to...

Ok.....I was kidding about the last one ;-)

The soil under the bark chips is most likely very compacted, not the best
foundation for a lawn!

I'd rotovate the bark chip into the soil before covering with new soil.

pk

Emrys Davies 04-03-2007 09:04 PM

Advice please.

"Kevin" wrote in message

I have an area of garden that has been covered in bark chips. I now

wish to
level and raise it slightly with a layer of top soil prior to seeding

as a
lawn.

Will it be OK to cover the bark chippings?

Advice please?

I sense that if you place the top soil onto the bark the latter will
gradually rot and will probably leave you with an uneven surface as it
settles. Definitely best if you dig in the bark chippings and make sure
that the land settles before you sow your grass, otherwise you may
eventually have an uneven surface.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

p.k. 05-03-2007 08:00 AM

Advice please.

Emrys Davies wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message

I have an area of garden that has been covered in bark chips. I now
wish to level and raise it slightly with a layer of top soil prior
to seeding as a lawn.

Will it be OK to cover the bark chippings?

Advice please?

I sense that if you place the top soil onto the bark the latter will
gradually rot and will probably leave you with an uneven surface as it
settles. Definitely best if you dig in the bark chippings and make
sure that the land settles before you sow your grass, otherwise you
may eventually have an uneven surface.

Rotovating will chop the bark as it digs it in.

pk