Old 08-03-2007, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Great crested newt

We were absolutely thrilled last night to find our first great crested newt.
Our pond is only 3 years old, and has had palmate and smooth newts almost
from the start, but this is the first great crested I have ever actually seen
anywhere.

Some of you may remember that we are developing and managing our garden
almost entirely for the wildlife, so you can imagine what delight we take
whenever a new species arrives. According to what I have read, great crested
newts like established ponds, so perhaps that's why it has now appeared.
Let's hope there's a Miss great crested newt somewhere not too far away to
keep him happy!

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 08-03-2007, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sally Thompson" wrote
We were absolutely thrilled last night to find our first great crested
newt. Our pond is only 3 years old, and has had palmate and smooth
newts almost from the start, but this is the first great crested I
have ever actually seen anywhere.

Some of you may remember that we are developing and managing our
garden almost entirely for the wildlife, so you can imagine what
delight we take whenever a new species arrives. According to what I
have read, great crested newts like established ponds, so perhaps
that's why it has now appeared. Let's hope there's a Miss great
crested newt somewhere not too far away to keep him happy!

How wonderful. I'm entirely jealous. ;-)

We intend to have a pond down in our wild area one day. It's still at
the daydreaming stage at the moment though. There are still a lot of
frogs down there in the long grass however, and huge great dragonflies
visit in summer, so they must have a pond somewhere nearby.

--
Sue

Old 09-03-2007, 12:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message et, Sally
Thompson writes

We were absolutely thrilled last night to find our first great crested newt.
Our pond is only 3 years old, and has had palmate and smooth newts almost
from the start, but this is the first great crested I have ever actually seen
anywhere.

Some of you may remember that we are developing and managing our garden
almost entirely for the wildlife, so you can imagine what delight we take
whenever a new species arrives. According to what I have read, great crested
newts like established ponds, so perhaps that's why it has now appeared.
Let's hope there's a Miss great crested newt somewhere not too far away to
keep him happy!

That is excellent news I am very, very envious! In case you are
interested in some further pond and newt related reading you may want to
look at the Froglife site at http://www.froglife.org/ and for some
Natural England/English Nature general pond stuff and a further reading
list
http://www.english-nature.org.uk/pub...amphibgard.pdf
--
Robert
Old 09-03-2007, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 23:51:37 +0000, Robert wrote
(in article ):

In message et, Sally
Thompson writes

[...]

Thanks for that Robert. I knew of the Froglife site, but not the English
Nature publication which looks excellent. Let's keep our fingers crossed
that the GC Newts multiply as the other newts certainly have - that would be
fantastic.