Old 09-03-2007, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default rhurbarb

La Puce wrote:
On 9 Mar, 14:32, mewthree wrote:
never said anything about a pot. the crown came in a small bag of what
looks like compost so i dug a hole in the garden and put in the compost
and put the crown in that.

When you said 'compost' I thought ... But it's great. Don't forget to
feed it and good luck. Made me hungry ;o)

what is best to feed it with, since i didn't prepare the ground with manure?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "La Puce" contains these words:

On 9 Mar, 11:43, mewthree wrote:
thanks, have planted in some compost and watered. will wait and see

Compost? In a pot? You can't grow rhubarb in a pot - the roots are
very strong and need lots of depth. Compost alone will not feed your
plant enough. It will not survive. These plants can produce for 10 to
15 years even longer. Once established you can leave them alone to do
their stuff. Very easy indeed. But first what they need is a good bed,
you need to prepare the ground for it. After all they'll stay in there
for 15 years!

Strange, then, that I've had rhubarb growing in a compost bin for over
four years now....you _do_ talk the most incredible rubbish sometimes!

She does not talk rubbish sometimes, she talks rubbish ALL the time!

Alan

Old 09-03-2007, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Mar, 17:20, Anne Jackson wrote:
Strange, then, that I've had rhubarb growing in a compost bin for over
four years now....you _do_ talk the most incredible rubbish sometimes!

I don't really need nor deserve that kind of treatment Anne, I really
don't. I haven't done nor say anything to you to justify this. So easy
on the language and especially the attitude.

You made a very misleading statement, Helene! I was pointing this out,
in my usual succinct manner....

What do you find strange? You've had your rhubarb growing in your
compost bin? I have potatoes, oinions, tons of cascading nasturtiums
growing from my composts and a comfrey which has been in there for
well over 4 years.

What have I said above which would suggests you cannot grow things
from your compost area? No, I haven't.

But you did!! You said "Compost? In a pot? You can't grow rhubarb in
a pot - the roots are very strong and need lots of depth. Compost alone
will not feed your plant enough. It will not survive."

COMPOST ALONE WILL NOT FEED YOUR PLANT ENOUGH. IT WILL NOT SURVIVE.

I didn't invent this....YOU said it!

Growing rhubarb in a pot for several years you would not have the best
harvest from your rhubarb and it's not a good advice. It has massive
roots and you'd end up killing the plant, let alone cracking your pot!.

Helene, away and teach your granny to suck eggs... I wasn't argueing
about the POT, I was taking issue with your statement about the COMPOST!

Easy on the language please or I won't read you any more.

I don't want to read you anymore, but there are some in this newsgroup who
waste their time following up your articles, so, as I read most other
contributors, I'm stuck with reading your rubbish!

Just go away, please!

Alan

Old 09-03-2007, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message

"La Puce" wrote
So easy on the language and especially the attitude.

The hypocrisy is breathtaking.

That is an understatement!

Alan

Old 09-03-2007, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Mar, 20:17, mewthree wrote:
what is best to feed it with, since i didn't prepare the ground with manure?

I mulch with comfrey leaves and manure which I do from April onwards.
They need to be kept moist. You can use leaf mould to. Repeat in the
summer when it's really hot (but make sure it's not dry before
mulching).

Old 09-03-2007, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Mar, 20:27, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
I don't want to read you anymore, but there are some in this newsgroup who
waste their time following up your articles, so, as I read most other
contributors, I'm stuck with reading your rubbish!

Could you point out to us what you have contributed to this gardening
forum, say in the last 5 months?

Old 09-03-2007, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 9 Mar, 20:27, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
I don't want to read you anymore, but there are some in this newsgroup
who
waste their time following up your articles, so, as I read most other
contributors, I'm stuck with reading your rubbish!

Could you point out to us what you have contributed to this gardening
forum, say in the last 5 months?

Alan has consistently warned members of the group about your serious
problems.
You post bad advice and promulgate myth which is very dangerous.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ps.com...
On 9 Mar, 19:17, K wrote:
No they don't. They don't like complete shade but they don't need full
sunshine.

Mine thrive on sunshine (that's why they have huge leaves). So do I
for that matter, thrive on sunshine that is )

Puce, when someone points out yet another error in your advice please have
the guts to offer an apology.
The group does not need dozy amateurs masquerading as knowledgeable long
term gardeners. Please keep your bad amateur advice to yourself.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Mar, 22:13, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" wrote:
Puce, when someone points out yet another error in your advice please have
the guts to offer an apology.
The group does not need dozy amateurs masquerading as knowledgeable long
term gardeners. Please keep your bad amateur advice to yourself.

Are you sure you are going to call me Puce or are you going to
suddenly revert to calling me bad names? I'll try an answer to you but
I hope I won't have to beat myself for having fallen for it.

My rhubarbs thrive in total open plan situation, therefore in full
sunshine. They need sunshine - they have big leaves to prevent
scorching the stems. Yes, they could grow in semi shade AND sunshine.
But not total shade. So why do you want me to apologise? What for? K
knows what I mean, and I really enjoy all posts. When I make a
mistake, which I do sometimes, I do say sorry - like with the Cyticus
(which was a genista). You see, I have 'guts'.

Do you remember when you told me you would move a tree even in full
bloom if you had to? These were the days when you were nice to me.
Though I did point out that you were mad for moving that tree ....
didn't I. That would be almost 2 years ago. Time flies doesn't it?

I'd like this to stop Ruppert. I really want it to stop. Now. I am
sorry for what has happen, but if I hadn't been led to it I wouldn't
have had to feel I needed to defend myself. My honour and reputation
is as good as yours or anybody else's. Why should it be different?

Old 10-03-2007, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "Sue" contains these
words:
"La Puce" wrote
So easy on the language and especially the attitude.

The hypocrisy is breathtaking.

Yup! I thought that too...

Well you would!(:-)

Alan

--
AnneJ

"Better To Die On Your Feet Than Live Forever On Your Knees"
Dolores Ibaruri (La Passionaria)

Old 10-03-2007, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mewthree" wrote in message
. uk...
La Puce wrote:
On 9 Mar, 14:32, mewthree wrote:
never said anything about a pot. the crown came in a small bag of what
looks like compost so i dug a hole in the garden and put in the compost
and put the crown in that.

When you said 'compost' I thought ... But it's great. Don't forget to
feed it and good luck. Made me hungry ;o)

what is best to feed it with, since i didn't prepare the ground with
manure?

Just put some well rotted manure on the top.

Alan

Old 10-03-2007, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 9 Mar, 20:27, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
I don't want to read you anymore, but there are some in this newsgroup
who
waste their time following up your articles, so, as I read most other
contributors, I'm stuck with reading your rubbish!

Could you point out to us what you have contributed to this gardening
forum, say in the last 5 months?

A lot more than you!

What the hell am I doing responding to this idiot?

I'll try to better in future, I promise!

Alan

Old 10-03-2007, 06:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bobrayner" wrote in message
On 9 Mar, 12:14, "La Puce" wrote:
On 9 Mar, 11:43, mewthree wrote:

thanks, have planted in some compost and watered. will wait and see

Compost? In a pot? You can't grow rhubarb in a pot - the roots are
very strong and need lots of depth. Compost alone will not feed your
plant enough. It will not survive. These plants can produce for 10 to
15 years even longer. Once established you can leave them alone to do
their stuff. Very easy indeed. But first what they need is a good bed,
you need to prepare the ground for it. After all they'll stay in there
for 15 years!

Can't grow rhubarb in a pot? Really?

:-)) Just another Puke howler.

Before moving house last summer, I split one (in my old garden) into a
couple of large pots and moved them to the new house. As the new
garden doesn't yet have a permanent home for them, I've left them in
the pots... and they're growing nicely.

I had to do the same thing 18 months ago with my favourite one and it's
still in it's big pot and doing nicely as is the French Sorrel I put in with
it. I had a plague of locusts eating down into the buds before they could
even burst open. The bits I left in the grounds were totally demolished but
the one on the pot is powering on. I also must find a home for mine soon
too but might wait till spring (about 6 months from now).

Old 10-03-2007, 06:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message

Another
alternative is to dig it up and leave it on top of the soil for the
frost to get to it...then replant it in the spring...that stops it
forming massive seed heads.

Is it? I'll try that. Till now I've just been breaking them off as they
form.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mewthree" wrote in message

what is best to feed it with, since i didn't prepare the ground with
manure?

I just add manure around the base (drip line) of the plant as it grows. I
believe it's impossible to overmanure a rhubarb is it's kept well watered.
Mine seem to like cow poop and they also seem to respond quickly to pelleted
chook poop for a quickk McDonalds type fix.