Old 09-03-2007, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default rhurbarb

i have just got a couple of crowns and they are completely different
from the one i bought a couple of weeks ago.the ones i have just bought
are looking healthy and have shoots on the, the one i bought a couple of
weeks ago looks like it has dried up and died. should they all produce
crops?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Mar, 10:33, mewthree wrote:
i have just got a couple of crowns and they are completely different
from the one i bought a couple of weeks ago.the ones i have just bought
are looking healthy and have shoots on the, the one i bought a couple of
weeks ago looks like it has dried up and died. should they all produce
crops?

Depends. What did you do with the first crown you bought? Did you
planted it? And where? Did you prepare the soil, enriched it with lots
of om prior to planting? Did you move the crown once in or did you
disturb ground around it? If you have planted it, the roots should
still be ok, but the crown suffered a dry spell perhaps. I wouldn't
give up on the first crown you bought. Only in a few month would you
be able to tell. Rhubarb are tough, but once established they don't
like to be moved. They need full sunshine. I've had mine for perhaps 6
years in the same spot, which were divisions from one I had 10 years
ago and this one was given to me by my father in law 15 years ago! So
I wouldn't get rid of the first crown, just mulch and om it, wait and
see.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
On 9 Mar, 10:33, mewthree wrote:
[...]

thanks, have planted in some compost and watered. will wait and see.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Mar, 11:43, mewthree wrote:
thanks, have planted in some compost and watered. will wait and see

Compost? In a pot? You can't grow rhubarb in a pot - the roots are
very strong and need lots of depth. Compost alone will not feed your
plant enough. It will not survive. These plants can produce for 10 to
15 years even longer. Once established you can leave them alone to do
their stuff. Very easy indeed. But first what they need is a good bed,
you need to prepare the ground for it. After all they'll stay in there
for 15 years!

Old 09-03-2007, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mewthree" wrote in message
i have just got a couple of crowns and they are completely different from
the one i bought a couple of weeks ago.the ones i have just bought are
looking healthy and have shoots on the, the one i bought a couple of weeks
ago looks like it has dried up and died. should they all produce crops?

It may or may not be as dead as a doddo. Wait and water. If you have some,
give it seaweed/fish emulsion at the rcommended dilution rate. I've found
this to be especially good and could probably raise Lazarus from the grave.

Many years ago I remember a friend who is not a gardener's bootstraps
telling me that she had a plant in her garden for 2 two years that she
thought was dead and because she is so incompetent and slack, she didn't rip
it up. After 2 years it suddenly sprang back into life. I now apply the
same strategy but then I have lots of space and it doesn't matter if it sits
there and is actually dead.

But I rant. If the plant is alive, it will eventually give you harvestable
stems, but dont' expect too much for of it in the early stages. Don't ever
overharvest.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
On 9 Mar, 11:43, mewthree wrote:
thanks, have planted in some compost and watered. will wait and see

Compost? In a pot? You can't grow rhubarb in a pot - the roots are
very strong and need lots of depth. Compost alone will not feed your
plant enough. It will not survive. These plants can produce for 10 to
15 years even longer. Once established you can leave them alone to do
their stuff. Very easy indeed. But first what they need is a good bed,
you need to prepare the ground for it. After all they'll stay in there
for 15 years!

never said anything about a pot. the crown came in a small bag of what
looks like compost so i dug a hole in the garden and put in the compost
and put the crown in that.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Mar, 14:32, mewthree wrote:
never said anything about a pot. the crown came in a small bag of what
looks like compost so i dug a hole in the garden and put in the compost
and put the crown in that.

When you said 'compost' I thought ... But it's great. Don't forget to
feed it and good luck. Made me hungry ;o)

Old 09-03-2007, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Mar, 12:14, "La Puce" wrote:
On 9 Mar, 11:43, mewthree wrote:

thanks, have planted in some compost and watered. will wait and see

Compost? In a pot? You can't grow rhubarb in a pot - the roots are
very strong and need lots of depth. Compost alone will not feed your
plant enough. It will not survive. These plants can produce for 10 to
15 years even longer. Once established you can leave them alone to do
their stuff. Very easy indeed. But first what they need is a good bed,
you need to prepare the ground for it. After all they'll stay in there
for 15 years!

Can't grow rhubarb in a pot? Really?

Before moving house last summer, I split one (in my old garden) into a
couple of large pots and moved them to the new house. As the new
garden doesn't yet have a permanent home for them, I've left them in
the pots... and they're growing nicely.

Really will have to find them a better home soon, though :-)

Old 09-03-2007, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Mar, 16:21, "bobrayner" wrote:
Can't grow rhubarb in a pot? Really?
Before moving house last summer, I split one (in my old garden) into a
couple of large pots and moved them to the new house. As the new
garden doesn't yet have a permanent home for them, I've left them in
the pots... and they're growing nicely.
Really will have to find them a better home soon, though :-)

Anything can be grown in pots really when we think about it and with a
bit of common sense. Though for the poster's query I thought to play
it safe - especially if the plant looks poorly. But this plant is best
straight in the ground as it establish itself for long time and
produce more and more (as you know I'm sure), if it has room to
stretch. When I moved house 8 years ago I kept stuff in pots for ages.
I moved in november so much of it I had forgotten what it was or which
pot it was in. In some cases, I just digged where I thought I had a
plant in my garden and potted it.

The discovery the following spring was brilliant, just like in a
garden centre and the surprises kept on coming for a few month ;o)

Old 09-03-2007, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Mar, 17:20, Anne Jackson wrote:
Strange, then, that I've had rhubarb growing in a compost bin for over
four years now....you _do_ talk the most incredible rubbish sometimes!

I don't really need nor deserve that kind of treatment Anne, I really
don't. I haven't done nor say anything to you to justify this. So easy
on the language and especially the attitude.

What do you find strange? You've had your rhubarb growing in your
compost bin? I have potatoes, oinions, tons of cascading nasturtiums
growing from my composts and a comfrey which has been in there for
well over 4 years.

What have I said above which would suggests you cannot grow things
from your compost area? No, I haven't.

Growing rhubarb in a pot for several years you would not have the best
harvest from your rhubarb and it's not a good advice. It has massive
roots and you'd end up killing the plant, let alone cracking your
pot!.

Easy on the language please or I won't read you any more.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 9 Mar, 18:12, Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from "La Puce" contains these words:

On 9 Mar, 17:20, Anne Jackson wrote:
Strange, then, that I've had rhubarb growing in a compost bin for over
four years now....you _do_ talk the most incredible rubbish sometimes!

I don't really need nor deserve that kind of treatment Anne, I really
don't. I haven't done nor say anything to you to justify this. So easy
on the language and especially the attitude.

You made a very misleading statement, Helene! I was pointing this out,
in my usual succinct manner....

What do you find strange? You've had your rhubarb growing in your
compost bin? I have potatoes, oinions, tons of cascading nasturtiums
growing from my composts and a comfrey which has been in there for
well over 4 years.
What have I said above which would suggests you cannot grow things
from your compost area? No, I haven't.

But you did!! You said "Compost? In a pot? You can't grow rhubarb in
a pot - the roots are very strong and need lots of depth. Compost alone
will not feed your plant enough. It will not survive."

COMPOST ALONE WILL NOT FEED YOUR PLANT ENOUGH. IT WILL NOT SURVIVE.

I didn't invent this....YOU said it!

Growing rhubarb in a pot for several years you would not have the best
harvest from your rhubarb and it's not a good advice. It has massive
roots and you'd end up killing the plant, let alone cracking your pot!.

Helene, away and teach your granny to suck eggs... I wasn't argueing
about the POT, I was taking issue with your statement about the COMPOST!

Easy on the language please or I won't read you any more.

Look at the face...look at the face...do I look bovvered?
DO I LOOK BOVVERED?

--
AnneJ

"Better To Die On Your Feet Than Live Forever On Your Knees"
Dolores Ibaruri (La Passionaria)

Children ........Children.....
Stop squabling.

Yes Rhubarb can be grown in a pot, I've got 3 plants growing in 12
inch pots, they are the survivors from over 50 plants I had growing
well in open ground, but 2 very wet winters wiped them out, I know
rhubarb likes plenty of water but not when they are dormant, I am
still looking for a place to plant them that can cope with our rain.
The best Rhubarb I ever grew was when I was living near Newbury, they
were planted in the angle of a north and an east facing wall l, where
they got the overflow from the bath water as the drain couldnt take it
fast enough, then they also got all the grass clippings around them
all season as a mulch.
Our best stick was over 3ft long and 2inches wide, and it was as
tender as anything,
I think I will have to put in a raised bed for it probably.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 09-03-2007, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Mar, 18:12, Anne Jackson wrote:
But you did!! You said "Compost? In a pot? You can't grow rhubarb in
a pot - the roots are very strong and need lots of depth. Compost alone
will not feed your plant enough. It will not survive."

And you said 'I've have one growing in my compost bin'. So it's not a
pot, innit, and it's not 'compost' like the chap mentioned either, but
a bit of earth he's found at the bottom of the bag. So there.

(snip)

Look at the face...look at the face...do I look bovvered?
DO I LOOK BOVVERED?

Hmmmm... I'd rather not look and if I was you I wouldn't put that
face, coz if the wind turns, you'll stay like that you know ;o)

Old 09-03-2007, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

La Puce wrote:
On 9 Mar, 10:33, mewthree wrote:
i have just got a couple of crowns and they are completely different
from the one i bought a couple of weeks ago.the ones i have just bought
are looking healthy and have shoots on the, the one i bought a couple of
weeks ago looks like it has dried up and died. should they all produce
crops?

Depends. What did you do with the first crown you bought? Did you
planted it? And where? Did you prepare the soil, enriched it with lots
of om prior to planting? Did you move the crown once in or did you
disturb ground around it? If you have planted it, the roots should
still be ok, but the crown suffered a dry spell perhaps. I wouldn't
give up on the first crown you bought. Only in a few month would you
be able to tell. Rhubarb are tough, but once established they don't
like to be moved. They need full sunshine.

No they don't. They don't like complete shade but they don't need full
sunshine.

--
Kay
Old 09-03-2007, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote
So easy on the language and especially the attitude.

The hypocrisy is breathtaking.

--
Sue

Old 09-03-2007, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Mar, 19:17, K wrote:
No they don't. They don't like complete shade but they don't need full
sunshine.

Mine thrive on sunshine (that's why they have huge leaves). So do I
for that matter, thrive on sunshine that is )