Old 09-03-2007, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Prunus mume

I've been given a Prunus mume for my birthday, and want advice on
growing it on heavy clay soil in a frost pocket 400ft above sea level in
Yorkshire.

From my reading so far, it needs a sheltered warm position on well
drained soil. I've got one position in the garden which might provide
that, but I'm wondering whether I might be better off growing it in a
huge tub
be so it could be on the south facing terrace (where the fig is). Or
even in the greenhouse? But I'm worried about letting it dry out too
much by mistake in summer.

Any thoughts?
--
Kay
Old 10-03-2007, 01:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 23:49:26 +0000, K wrote:

Any thoughts?

I think you should get your tits out.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes
I've been given a Prunus mume for my birthday,

Oh rats, I forgot to post your card.........

happy birthday Kay glad you reminded me

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 11-03-2007, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Janet Tweedy writes
In article , K
writes
I've been given a Prunus mume for my birthday,

Oh rats, I forgot to post your card.........

happy birthday Kay glad you reminded me

Thanks :-)

But does no-one here grow P mume?
--
Kay
Old 11-03-2007, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 11, 2:25 pm, K wrote:
Janet Tweedy writesIn article , K
writes
I've been given a Prunus mume for my birthday,

Oh rats, I forgot to post your card.........

happy birthday Kay glad you reminded me

Thanks :-)

But does no-one here grow P mume?
--
Kay

Happy Birthday Kay - what did the boys get you? and no I don't grow P
mume

Old 12-03-2007, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Jennifer Sparkes writes
The message
from K contains these words:

But does no-one here grow P mume?

Happy Birthday Kay

Thanks :-)

and sorry I don't know it but it is very
attractive.

Looking through articles on it opinions do seem to vary quite
a bit.

Would the Botanic Gardens at Ness or perhaps the
horticultural department at Askham Bryan College know?
(Guess you have thought of those though.)

Possibly, but don't they have better things to do than field enquiries
from amateur gardeners? ;-)
--
Kay
Old 12-03-2007, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

" writes

Happy Birthday Kay

Thanks :-)

- what did the boys get you?

A rather nice mahonia, some Cylamen coum and Anemone blanda - nothing
exciting, but all helps to brighten up the far end of the garden which I
am developing as a winter garden to give a reason to head out there on
dull grey days. I've already got C hederifolium, just two C coum and
some early flowering crocus, Helleborus orientalis, Viburnum tinus
Cornus mas and Hamamelis mollis, as well as coloured bark from a birch
(can't remember offhand which, but it has a lovely rich pinky brown bark
where the white bark peels off), willow and dogwood

and no I don't grow P
mume

It's a lovely thing, aka Japanese Apricot, and it has the sort of
blossom that you see in Chinese paintings of plum blossom, scattered
deep pink flowers on bare twigs.

--
Kay