Old 10-03-2007, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default wild fruit

I had the idea thismorning of attempting to cultivate garden fruit from
local wild stock. There are some very good wild rasberries in the woods
nearby, and I know where some gooseberries are growing in a hedge - is it
possible that they are wild? I have never heard of wild goosberries, but
hey, they are goosberries and tasty. What would be the best procedure for
getting these into my garden? Grow from seed? Cuttings? Digging up whole
plants? What time of year and what advice?

tim w

Old 10-03-2007, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Mar, 09:57, Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from "Tim W" contains
these words:
I had the idea thismorning of attempting to cultivate garden fruit from
local wild stock. There are some very good wild rasberries in the woods
nearby, and I know where some gooseberries are growing in a hedge - is it
possible that they are wild? I have never heard of wild goosberries, but
hey, they are goosberries and tasty. What would be the best procedure for
getting these into my garden? Grow from seed? Cuttings? Digging up whole
plants? What time of year and what advice?

Not wild, just feral. I've always propagated gooseberries from
cuttings. When I'm shaping the bush, I put all the cuttings
into a pot, and what takes gets given to anyone who wants it/them.
Gooseberry cuttings root really well.

In the autumn Gooseberries is best to take these cuttings from. Isn't
it Anne?.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "Tim W" contains
these words:

I had the idea thismorning of attempting to cultivate garden fruit from
local wild stock. There are some very good wild rasberries in the woods
nearby, and I know where some gooseberries are growing in a hedge - is it
possible that they are wild? I have never heard of wild goosberries, but
hey, they are goosberries and tasty. What would be the best procedure for
getting these into my garden? Grow from seed? Cuttings? Digging up whole
plants? What time of year and what advice?

Not wild, just feral. I've always propagated gooseberries from
cuttings. When I'm shaping the bush, I put all the cuttings
into a pot, and what takes gets given to anyone who wants it/them.
Gooseberry cuttings root really well.

Raspberries? TBH wild raspberries are such puny wee things, compared
to the cultivated varieties, that it's scarcely worth the trouble.
They also tend to be a bit uncontrollable, and spread all over the place.

Just haul up a cane or two, if you fancy trying it. Once the cane has
fruited, cut it back to the ground, and a new cane will take over.
Try to keep them under control, or you're neighbours will have rasps
in their gardens in no time at all...that's how I got mine, and I'm
still trying to eradicate them, almost 40 years down the line...

Hi Anne:
I agree with all of that (cuttings for gooseberries and wild rasberries not
worth the hassle) but I have a silly question and you seem good at cuttings:
can you propagate rasberries by cuttings? Digging up canes seems the usual
method but I have a couple of plants that I would like to turn into a dozen
as fast as possible and cuttings seem faster in that case?
Des

--
AnneJ

"Better To Die On Your Feet Than Live Forever On Your Knees"
Dolores Ibaruri (La Passionaria)

Old 13-03-2007, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "Des Higgins" contains these
words:

Hi Anne:
I agree with all of that (cuttings for gooseberries and wild rasberries
not
worth the hassle) but I have a silly question and you seem good at
cuttings:
can you propagate rasberries by cuttings? Digging up canes seems the
usual
method but I have a couple of plants that I would like to turn into a
dozen
as fast as possible and cuttings seem faster in that case?
Des

Well, I've never tried it, but it must surely be worth a go? If you
want to sacrifice one cane, and cut it into half a dozen or so lengths,
then do it! I would! G You know how to determine that you're sticking
the right end in the soil, I'm sure.... ;-)

Ok, you are right; there is not much to lose by trying it on one cane.
I will do my best to stick em in the ground right way round :-)

Des

Old 14-03-2007, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim W wrote:
I had the idea thismorning of attempting to cultivate garden fruit from
local wild stock. There are some very good wild rasberries in the woods
nearby,

There is a flavour to some wild raspberries that you do not get in the
commercial varieties - the closest commercial I've tasted is Leo.
I came across some wonderfull tasting rasps in the German BlackForest
and have grown from seed I brought back. Also grown from rasps taken
in Balderdale (Teesdale) with similar "extra" taste. These fruit had
fairly decent size and lack of "pippiness" - but are no where near
commercial variety size - but then so many of the commercial varieties are
pretty bland tastewise.

Growing raspberries from seed is easy. Smear the raspberry on absorbant
paper and leave in the sun to dry. Scrape off the pips. In Autumn mix a
sandy seed compost and plant the pips - leave the box somewhere where it
will get the frost and cold in winter - this I think is called
stratification (spelling?). Next spring summer, seedlings should emerge.
Xplant into suitable pots for growing on, before xplanting out when a
decent size. Plant many seedlings and be rigorous in pulling up and
discarding any that prove to have weedy or poor growth, or any that have
poor, pippy fruit or with poor flavour, etc

Old 16-03-2007, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Des Higgins
writes

Hi Anne:
I agree with all of that (cuttings for gooseberries and wild rasberries not
worth the hassle) but I have a silly question and you seem good at cuttings:
can you propagate rasberries by cuttings? Digging up canes seems the usual
method but I have a couple of plants that I would like to turn into a dozen
as fast as possible and cuttings seem faster in that case?
Des

Blimey haven't you got runners about three foot from the plants? I've
got them on every plant and have to dig them up to keep them in a line,
they all have roots on.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 16-03-2007, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Des Higgins
writes

Hi Anne:
I agree with all of that (cuttings for gooseberries and wild rasberries
not
worth the hassle) but I have a silly question and you seem good at
cuttings:
can you propagate rasberries by cuttings? Digging up canes seems the
usual
method but I have a couple of plants that I would like to turn into a
dozen
as fast as possible and cuttings seem faster in that case?
Des

Blimey haven't you got runners about three foot from the plants? I've got
them on every plant and have to dig them up to keep them in a line, they
all have roots on.

No runners yet. We ordered 20 canes for planting a year ago and only 3 took
(they possiblly were too long in postage). Those 3 only have a couple of
canes and I wanted to use those to make more plants. I guess I could just
be patient :-).

Des

Old 16-03-2007, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 16, 1:25 pm, "Des Higgins" wrote:
[...]

If you want to come and dig up my small few runners, you're welcome to
do so any time you are passing through Kildare.
(And no, this is not a naughty offer to come unearth my last pair of
Nike)

Cat(h)

Old 16-03-2007, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

there is great scope for gardening innuendo and even (excuse my French)
double entendres.
All tose fruiting bodies etc. etc.
I guess my rasberries will sort themselves out as soon as the plants take
off.

Cat(h)

Old 16-03-2007, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 16, 3:30 pm, "Des Higgins" wrote:

there is great scope for gardening innuendo and even (excuse my French)
double entendres.
All tose fruiting bodies etc. etc.

Gasp!

I guess my rasberries will sort themselves out as soon as the plants take
off.

You'd better believe it. I too greedily planted about 10 plants 2
years ago (I adore raspberries), and I've been busy ever since
plucking up those "runners" - some such distances away from the plants
themselves taht at first I thought they had seeded courtesy of some
blackbird or gust of wind - but no, you could dig up the entire
"runner" all the way to the main plant.
Still, they are worth the hassle.
Be sure to put a taut cage around them, if you really want to eat a
few rather than give them all to the birds. Don't net, the birds get
caught in them.

Cat(h)

Old 17-03-2007, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
[...]

If I know raspberries, no doubt they'll be trying to strangle you in your
bed in a couple of years time.

Old 17-03-2007, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

That or the wife will if I do not do some gardening this weekend.

Des