Old 10-03-2007, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Qualcast mower engine problems

Hi,

My Dad's acquired a Qualcast 35c Petrol mower and he's having trouble
getting it to work. The manual he has keeps referring to the engine manual
but he doesn't have an engine manual. We've searched the Qualcast site but
they only show the manuals he already has.

Does anyone here know where we may be able to get the engine manual from?

thanks in anticipation
MikeB

Old 10-03-2007, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , MikeB
wrote
Hi,

My Dad's acquired a Qualcast 35c Petrol mower and he's having trouble
getting it to work. The manual he has keeps referring to the engine manual
but he doesn't have an engine manual. We've searched the Qualcast site but
they only show the manuals he already has.

Possibly because Qualcast don't make the motor. They possibly fitted
something from the Briggs and Stratton range of small motors for lawn
mowers. - maybe the Classic/Sprint/Quattro range

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/om/pdfs/100/MS3479-GB.pdf

http://www.briggsandstratton.com

If it's not Briggs and Stratton it is likely a motor from another well
known manufacturer. Check the motor itself for the makers name/model.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Old 10-03-2007, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 10, 5:35 pm, Alan wrote:
In message , MikeB
wrote

My Dad's acquired a Qualcast 35c Petrol mower and he's having trouble
getting it to work. The manual he has keeps referring to the engine manual
but he doesn't have an engine manual. We've searched the Qualcast site but
they only show the manuals he already has.

Possibly because Qualcast don't make the motor. They possibly fitted
something from the Briggs and Stratton range of small motors for lawn
mowers. - maybe the Classic/Sprint/Quattro range

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/om/pdfs/100/MS3479-GB.pdf

http://www.briggsandstratton.com

If it's not Briggs and Stratton it is likely a motor from another well
known manufacturer. Check the motor itself for the makers name/model.

Three major problems can hit a mower engine. Water in the fuel after
standing (over winter especially) and clogged filters. The other one
is timing. When the blade inevitably hits something hard and heavy,
the blade can get knocked back a notch or two.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 10 Mar, 14:10, "MikeB" wrote:
Hi,

My Dad's acquired a Qualcast 35c Petrol mower and he's having trouble
getting it to work. The manual he has keeps referring to the engine manual
but he doesn't have an engine manual. We've searched the Qualcast site but
they only show the manuals he already has.

Does anyone here know where we may be able to get the engine manual from?

thanks in anticipation
MikeB

You don't say what make the engine is.

David hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 10-03-2007, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
oups.com...
You don't say what make the engine is.

Hi Dave,

I don't know what engine it is. As I think I said, we don't have an engine
manual so I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how I cen tell you what
engine it is.

If you have any ideas as to how we can check, don't hesitate to let me know

Rgds,
MikeB

Old 11-03-2007, 01:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MikeB" wrote in message
Hi,

My Dad's acquired a Qualcast 35c Petrol mower and he's having trouble
getting it to work. The manual he has keeps referring to the engine manual
but he doesn't have an engine manual. We've searched the Qualcast site but
they only show the manuals he already has.

Does anyone here know where we may be able to get the engine manual from?

thanks in anticipation
MikeB

Is it this one?
http://www.bartrammowers.co.uk/partf...w.asp?pID=1750
or this type?
http://www.shouldersofshoreham.co.uk...SIC35S-008673A
Pics of Briggs and Stratton engines
http://www.briggsbits.co.uk/acatalog/shop.html

Anthony

Old 11-03-2007, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 10, 5:35 pm, Alan wrote:
In message , MikeB
wrote

My Dad's acquired a Qualcast 35c Petrol mower and he's having trouble
getting it to work. The manual he has keeps referring to the engine
manual
but he doesn't have an engine manual. We've searched the Qualcast site
but
they only show the manuals he already has.

Possibly because Qualcast don't make the motor. They possibly fitted
something from the Briggs and Stratton range of small motors for lawn
mowers. - maybe the Classic/Sprint/Quattro range

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/om/pdfs/100/MS3479-GB.pdf

http://www.briggsandstratton.com

If it's not Briggs and Stratton it is likely a motor from another well
known manufacturer. Check the motor itself for the makers name/model.

Three major problems can hit a mower engine. Water in the fuel after
standing (over winter especially) and clogged filters.

You missed a dead plug.

The other one
is timing. When the blade inevitably hits something hard and heavy,
the blade can get knocked back a notch or two.

Utter bollox!
The timing has NOTHING to do with the blade itself, rather that it is a
component associated with the crankshaft and the location of the trigger to
the sensor.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 20:45:16 -0000, MikeB wrote:

If you have any ideas as to how we can check, don't hesitate to let me
know

Look at the engine for any words like "Briggs & Stratton", "Honda",
"Techumesh" or a model "Classic", "GXnumber" or even what colour is the
engine block or the cowl.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 11-03-2007, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
Look at the engine for any words like "Briggs & Stratton", "Honda",
"Techumesh" or a model "Classic", "GXnumber" or even what colour is the
engine block or the cowl.

Dave,

Thanks for that. When I pointed out the messages on the group, my dad said
that he's already looked but could see no perceptible markings of any kind
on the engine. He said he'll check again.

cheers,
MikeB

Old 11-03-2007, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anthony" wrote after "MikeB" wrote
My Dad's acquired a Qualcast 35c Petrol mower and he's having trouble
getting it to work. The manual he has keeps referring to the engine
manual but he doesn't have an engine manual. We've searched the Qualcast
site but they only show the manuals he already has.

Does anyone here know where we may be able to get the engine manual from?

thanks in anticipation
MikeB

Is it this one?
http://www.bartrammowers.co.uk/partf...w.asp?pID=1750
or this type?
http://www.shouldersofshoreham.co.uk...SIC35S-008673A
Pics of Briggs and Stratton engines
http://www.briggsbits.co.uk/acatalog/shop.html

Or the Tecumseh (Italian) engine
http://www.tecumsehpower.com/CustomerService/BSI.pdf
They have a big spares place in Commercial Road, Staines

--
Regards
Bob H

Qualcast mower STEPHEN United Kingdom 2 08-07-2006 10:35 PM
Qualcast mower wheels tab United Kingdom 2 23-08-2005 10:52 PM
FA: Qualcast electric cylinder mower Richard Sterry United Kingdom 0 12-08-2004 12:13 AM
FA: Qualcast electric cylinder mower Richard Sterry United Kingdom 0 04-08-2004 08:21 PM
Buying a new mower - advice on Qualcast Cobra Quiet 32 Electric Rotary Lawnmower Paul United Kingdom 5 17-04-2003 08:44 AM