Old 14-03-2007, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Securing Gate to concrete fence post.

Hi,

In a couple of weeks im erecting a fence and will be needing to mount
a gate from my end post - a concrete one. I was thinking of fixing a
plinth of wood to the edge of the post but what method is best for
doing this as im aware the posts have steel rods inside for strength.

Thanks

Old 14-03-2007, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

In a couple of weeks im erecting a fence and will be needing to mount
a gate from my end post - a concrete one. I was thinking of fixing a
plinth of wood to the edge of the post but what method is best for
doing this as im aware the posts have steel rods inside for strength.

Most concrete posts also have holes through them for straining wires or
bolts to go through. Can you use any of them? If not, drilling through them
is possible but not easy, and can make a right mess of the post. Don't ask
me how I know :-((

Steve

Old 14-03-2007, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

In a couple of weeks im erecting a fence and will be needing to mount
a gate from my end post - a concrete one. I was thinking of fixing a
plinth of wood to the edge of the post but what method is best for
doing this as im aware the posts have steel rods inside for strength.

Thanks

Will the concrete post have holes in it for a wire strainer?

If so, fix an angle iron via the strainer wire OR enlarge the holes and fix
with bolts and fix a timber to this.

I have had to do this on my concrete garage.

No problem in enlarging a hole as the steel wires will be clear of the
holes.

A Masonry drill will be required and enlarge to hole slowly, i.e., don't
push the drill hard, let the drill do the work.

Hope this helps.

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 14-03-2007, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Im told there isnt any holes in the concrete posts when they are
delivered.

I was unsure about just using a wooden post as it seemed a waste when
the rest would be concrete.

Is it unfeasable to drill fresh holes, possibly using a drill bit for
metal if any rods are hit whilst drilling?

Many thanks for the replys

Old 14-03-2007, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...
Im told there isnt any holes in the concrete posts when they are
delivered.

I was unsure about just using a wooden post as it seemed a waste when
the rest would be concrete.

Is it unfeasable to drill fresh holes, possibly using a drill bit for
metal if any rods are hit whilst drilling?

Many thanks for the replys

Yes it is possible to drill holes in the concrete and to put a metal drill
through the metal when you come to it and then to continue with the Masonry
drill.

I would put a very small drill through first, say a 6mm then open to a
larger.

Have you drilled concrete before? Tricky project as a first if not. You
'could' shatter the post :-(( as you need a hammer action for the concrete
but not the metal!

If you are on the Isle of Wight I will come and do it for you :-))

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 14-03-2007, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 14, 8:51 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

.................................................. .............
'THE' Association if you served in the Electrical Branch of the Royal Navywww.rneba.org.uk

Many thanks for the offer, im unfortunatly from the Derbyshire.

Im pretty handy with a drill but never drilled concrete. I was
thinking along the same lines, small drill bit very steadily then
widen of once done.

Are there special fixings for this rather than rawl plugs. I vaguely
remember seeing metal versions, possibly rawl bolts?

Thanks again

Old 14-03-2007, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14 Mar 2007 15:27:43 -0700, "
wrote:

On Mar 14, 8:51 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

I really wouldn't recommend trying to drill it. You will find it very
difficult without hammer action, and with hammer action you could
shatter it. Also if your drill cuts through the steel you will weaken
the post, and the exposed rod will quickly rust and split the post.
Much better to order the correct post.
Old 15-03-2007, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 14, 8:51 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

As others have already suggested, see if you can change to post with ones
with holes in, even small ones which can be enlarged.

HOWEVER under NO circumstances use a Rawlbolt. These work on an expanding
and gripping action and as sure night follows day you will split the post
and shatter it. Drill right through and bolt right through. Use large
washers to spread the load of the nut as well. Known in the Engineering
trade as 'Penny Washers' because of their size, or get a piece of steel
plate cut.

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 15-03-2007, 12:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
news:45f869bd$0$16364 I'd change the order, pronto, to get posts with
holes. I see no merit in
unholed ones even for intermediate positions, let alone gateposts. You
can drill them, but I really wouldn't recommend it if there's an
alternative.

--
Mike.

Never mind all this hole drilling - I would suggest clamp around brackets.
Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 15-03-2007, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 14, 11:53 pm, "Pete Stockdale"
wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

news:45f869bd$0$16364 I'd change the order, pronto, to get posts with
holes. I see no merit in

unholed ones even for intermediate positions, let alone gateposts. You
can drill them, but I really wouldn't recommend it if there's an
alternative.

--
Mike.

Never mind all this hole drilling - I would suggest clamp around brackets.
Regards
Petewww.thecanalshop.com

thanks for all your help. Will enquire about pre-drilled posts and the
brackets mentioned.

Old 16-03-2007, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14 Mar, 07:26, " wrote:
Hi,

In a couple of weeks im erecting a fence and will be needing to mount
a gate from my end post - a concrete one. I was thinking of fixing a
plinth of wood to the edge of the post but what method is best for
doing this as im aware the posts have steel rods inside for strength.

My solution was to buy some 5mm thick, 30mm wide steel bar from the
nearest farm shop, and cold form it to go round 3 sides of the post
and stick out a bit. I then cut a timber wedge to correct the taper
of the post, the same width as the post, and screwed the sticking-out
ends of the metal straps to the two sides of the timber wedge. The
taper of the post, and the weight of the gate keeps it all in place.

I rubbed the steel up bright, and then painted with the special primer
and smooth hamerite before fitting. I greased the screws, and then
cleaned off around the heads, grease filled the slots, and painted
over them

Old 16-03-2007, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Do not use wooden posts, they will only last 5 years or so.

Drill holes along the vetical centre line, into the concrete, as
there are normally 4 steel rods that go down the 4 corners.

I have just done 2 seperate jobs, each with gates on.

In all cases do not hang the gate on the post if you can help it.

1st job - Concreted well in a concrete post, then fixed a wooden post
infront of it (not concreted in), by using long 180mm x 6mm csk
screws, screwed in thro the holes in the concrete post, from the back
face where the panels slot in. Then used the wood post to fix the
correct wood battening to it. If you have the right sized wood you
circular saw out the rebate for the gate.

2nd job - Used the concrete post inner edge as the slamming part of
the gate, added an additional wooden battening to the edge of the
panel to fix the gate latch etc. OK this was not ment to be a very
secure gate, but it served its purpose.