Old 14-03-2007, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Squash

I have a smallish veg plot that I am currently planning and preparing.
We generally eat a fair amount of Butternut squash - so I am thinking
about having a go growing them, or another squash variety.
Anyone got any experience with cobnut ? Is it vine or bush ? How much
space will each plant take up ?

Old 14-03-2007, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14 Mar, 09:38, wrote:
I have a smallish veg plot that I am currently planning and preparing.
We generally eat a fair amount of Butternut squash - so I am thinking
about having a go growing them, or another squash variety.
Anyone got any experience with cobnut ? Is it vine or bush ? How much
space will each plant take up ?

or can someone recommend a good bush variety for growing in the East
Anglia climate in a faily sunny spot.

Old 14-03-2007, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 14 Mar, 10:23, wrote:
On 14 Mar, 09:38, wrote:

I have a smallish veg plot that I am currently planning and preparing.
We generally eat a fair amount of Butternut squash - so I am thinking
about having a go growing them, or another squash variety.
Anyone got any experience with cobnut ? Is it vine or bush ? How much
space will each plant take up ?

or can someone recommend a good bush variety for growing in the East
Anglia climate in a faily sunny spot.

For cob nuts try http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/index.php

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 14-03-2007, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

ginger wrote ...
I have a smallish veg plot that I am currently planning and preparing.
We generally eat a fair amount of Butternut squash - so I am thinking
about having a go growing them, or another squash variety.
Anyone got any experience with cobnut ? Is it vine or bush ? How much
space will each plant take up ?

Butternut Squash are vines and do run about quite a bit, grew them years ago
with great success, trying them again this year. Take up about the same
space as a normal sized pumpkin.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 14-03-2007, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 14, 5:04 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
ginger wrote ...I have a smallish veg plot that I am currently planning and preparing.
We generally eat a fair amount of Butternut squash - so I am thinking
about having a go growing them, or another squash variety.
Anyone got any experience with cobnut ? Is it vine or bush ? How much
space will each plant take up ?

Butternut Squash are vines and do run about quite a bit, grew them years ago
with great success, trying them again this year. Take up about the same
space as a normal sized pumpkin.

--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK

I grew them last year, also in East Angia, Norfolk. They were a great
success. I kept some seeds and I have planted these in the greenhouse
today.

My favourite way of cooking them is to roast them, like parsnips,
delicious. I wanted a squash soup recipe and I found one yesterday on
another group.

Judith

Are there virus resistant squash seeds? Virus killing my squash! goldtech Gardening 10 12-04-2013 01:16 PM
Butternut Squash Natalie United Kingdom 30 17-05-2003 10:44 AM
Squash growing Jayne Edible Gardening 6 10-05-2003 06:32 PM
Maclura pomifera (osage orange) dispersal (was squash dispersal) David Hershey Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:22 PM
squash dispersal Monique Reed Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:22 PM