GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hummingbird Hawk Moth (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/155301-hummingbird-hawk-moth.html)

Sacha 16-03-2007 02:48 PM

Hummingbird Hawk Moth

This really is extraordinary. In the biggest greenhouse this morning, a
customer suddenly said "WHAT'S THAT????" and there, buzzing about a stand of
primulas, was a hummingbird hawk moth! Normally, we see these in the garden
in hot summers in August and September, often on Salvia involucrata. But in
March......?!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Lez Pawl 16-03-2007 02:50 PM

Hummingbird Hawk Moth

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
This really is extraordinary. In the biggest greenhouse this morning, a
customer suddenly said "WHAT'S THAT????" and there, buzzing about a stand
of
primulas, was a hummingbird hawk moth! Normally, we see these in the
garden
in hot summers in August and September, often on Salvia involucrata. But
in
March......?!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

the biggest greenhouse..............whoopppdddyyy dooooooo.

Robert \(Plymouth\) 16-03-2007 09:01 PM

Hummingbird Hawk Moth

Sacha wrote:
: This really is extraordinary. In the biggest greenhouse this
: morning, a customer suddenly said "WHAT'S THAT????" and there,
: buzzing about a stand of primulas, was a hummingbird hawk moth!
: Normally, we see these in the garden in hot summers in August and
: September, often on Salvia involucrata. But in March......?!

Better turn the heating up for it in the Arctic blast on Sunday

Dave Hill 16-03-2007 09:37 PM

Hummingbird Hawk Moth

On 16 Mar, 14:48, Sacha wrote:
This really is extraordinary. In the biggest greenhouse this morning, a
customer suddenly said "WHAT'S THAT????" and there, buzzing about a stand of
primulas, was a hummingbird hawk moth! Normally, we see these in the garden
in hot summers in August and September, often on Salvia involucrata. But in
March......?!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

I did hear something last year about some over wintering in UK but no
reports of them breading here yet.
I should think they were really at home with you in the glasshouse.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Sacha 16-03-2007 10:48 PM

Hummingbird Hawk Moth

On 16/3/07 21:01, in article ,
"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
: This really is extraordinary. In the biggest greenhouse this
: morning, a customer suddenly said "WHAT'S THAT????" and there,
: buzzing about a stand of primulas, was a hummingbird hawk moth!
: Normally, we see these in the garden in hot summers in August and
: September, often on Salvia involucrata. But in March......?!

Better turn the heating up for it in the Arctic blast on Sunday

Heating only comes on if it gets very cold - I hope the little thing has the
sense to stay in the greenhouse!

Sacha 16-03-2007 10:49 PM

Hummingbird Hawk Moth

On 16/3/07 21:37, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

On 16 Mar, 14:48, Sacha wrote:
This really is extraordinary. In the biggest greenhouse this morning, a
customer suddenly said "WHAT'S THAT????" and there, buzzing about a stand of
primulas, was a hummingbird hawk moth! Normally, we see these in the garden
in hot summers in August and September, often on Salvia involucrata. But in
March......?!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

I did hear something last year about some over wintering in UK but no
reports of them breading here yet.
I should think they were really at home with you in the glasshouse.

I wish I knew more about their breeding habits. They were in the garden at
least two years ago so I'm assuming - guesswork only - that this is the
first of those homebred from last year.

Bob Hobden 16-03-2007 11:15 PM

Hummingbird Hawk Moth

"Sacha" wrote ..
This really is extraordinary. In the biggest greenhouse this morning, a
customer suddenly said "WHAT'S THAT????" and there, buzzing about a stand
of
primulas, was a hummingbird hawk moth! Normally, we see these in the
garden
in hot summers in August and September, often on Salvia involucrata. But
in
March......?!

Take a look at...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummingbird_hawk_moth
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galium

Have you got one of these species growing in the greenhouse/garden or
perhaps nearby?
If not you may get them to breed if you plant some in a clump somewhere.

--
Regards
Bob H

Sacha 17-03-2007 08:51 AM

Hummingbird Hawk Moth

On 16/3/07 23:15, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote ..
This really is extraordinary. In the biggest greenhouse this morning, a
customer suddenly said "WHAT'S THAT????" and there, buzzing about a stand
of
primulas, was a hummingbird hawk moth! Normally, we see these in the
garden
in hot summers in August and September, often on Salvia involucrata. But
in
March......?!

Take a look at...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummingbird_hawk_moth
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galium

Have you got one of these species growing in the greenhouse/garden or
perhaps nearby?
If not you may get them to breed if you plant some in a clump somewhere.

It was the primulas this was heading for and they won't be around much
longer. But we have all the other plants named in the garden and/or the
greenhouses. Not all in flower yet, of course. Reading this and going by
colouration, this was an adult. As to Galium, we have masses of woodruff in
the garden, so let's hope we keep the moths as well. And yes, we certainly
observed that they returned to the same Salvias at the same time each day.

Sacha 18-03-2007 10:18 AM

Hummingbird Hawk Moth

On 18/3/07 09:44, in article , "Malcolm"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
On 16/3/07 21:37, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

On 16 Mar, 14:48, Sacha wrote:
[...]

I don't think they've been proved to breed in the UK yet. For more
information, see:

http://www.butterfly-conservation.or...ets/Humming-bi
rd_Hawk-moth.pdf

I'll get in touch with them and thank you for that info. I can't believe
it's travelled to us from France this early in the year! I've seen the
caterpillars in Jersey BTW, so perhaps it hopped on a flybe.com to Exeter.
;-)

Dave Hill 18-03-2007 02:07 PM

Hummingbird Hawk Moth

On 18 Mar, 10:18, Sacha wrote:
On 18/3/07 09:44, in article , "Malcolm"

wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
On 16/3/07 21:37, in article
. com, "Dave Hill"

http://www.butterfly-conservation.or...tsheets/Hummin...
rd_Hawk-moth.pdf

I'll get in touch with them and thank you for that info. I can't believe
it's travelled to us from France this early in the year! I've seen the
caterpillars in Jersey BTW, so perhaps it hopped on a flybe.com to Exeter.
;-)
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

I would have thought that what you have are adults who have hibernated
from last Autumn, just the same as some butterflies will hibernate a
full adult butterflies.
They will now be looking for food and plants to lay their eggs on if
you are lucky
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Sacha 18-03-2007 02:26 PM

Hummingbird Hawk Moth

On 18/3/07 14:07, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

snip I would have thought that what you have are adults who have
hibernated
from last Autumn, just the same as some butterflies will hibernate a
full adult butterflies.
They will now be looking for food and plants to lay their eggs on if
you are lucky

I didn't know that, David, many thanks!

Rachel Aitch 18-03-2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

On 16 Mar, 14:48, Sacha wrote:
This really is extraordinary. In the biggest greenhouse this morning, a
customer suddenly said "WHAT'S THAT????" and there, buzzing about a stand
of
primulas, was a hummingbird hawk moth!
Hi Sacha, is this the same one that makes the most enormous caterpillar? I found one while digging a client's bed last year, and it gave me what my mother used to call " a turn". Or was that something like an elephant hawkmoth? ooer, now I'm confused. (goes away to look up pictures of giant caterpillars and have nightmares)

Keith \(Dorset\) 19-03-2007 01:28 PM

Hummingbird Hawk Moth

Hi Sacha,

They have been on the wing here since March 2nd - quite a few sightinigs so
far (re. Portland Bird Observatory website). I only saw one of these, last
week.

As you say, yours must be a good date for inland!

Keith

. uk...

Sacha 19-03-2007 02:05 PM

Hummingbird Hawk Moth

On 19/3/07 13:28, in article , "Keith
(Dorset)" wrote:

Hi Sacha,

They have been on the wing here since March 2nd - quite a few sightinigs so
far (re. Portland Bird Observatory website). I only saw one of these, last
week.

As you say, yours must be a good date for inland!

snip

Must be the help of the greenhouse warmth, I think. I haven't seen it
again, so I'm hoping it didn't venture out into this dreadful weather.

Alan Holmes[_2_] 20-03-2007 03:04 PM

Hummingbird Hawk Moth

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
This really is extraordinary. In the biggest greenhouse this morning, a
customer suddenly said "WHAT'S THAT????" and there, buzzing about a stand
of
primulas, was a hummingbird hawk moth! Normally, we see these in the
garden
in hot summers in August and September, often on Salvia involucrata. But
in
March......?!

I wouldn't know what one looked like!(:-(

Alan