Old 17-03-2007, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomatoes with protruberance

I have a few tomatoes of different varieties which have protrberances on
them.

Several of the "Black Russian" variety have small pointy bits sticking out
and a beefsteak type ("Monster") has a much larger one like a peg shaped
nose about an inch long.

Anyone knows what cause these?

Old 17-03-2007, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 17 Mar, 07:54, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
I have a few tomatoes of different varieties which have protrberances on
them.

Several of the "Black Russian" variety have small pointy bits sticking out
and a beefsteak type ("Monster") has a much larger one like a peg shaped
nose about an inch long.

Anyone knows what cause these?

It seems to be a genetic thing, When I was market gardening and we
were growing around Half an acre of commercial varieties we always had
a few, great for the Kids class in the local flower show as they make
good faces.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 18-03-2007, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 17 Mar, 07:54, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
I have a few tomatoes of different varieties which have protrberances on
them.

Several of the "Black Russian" variety have small pointy bits sticking
out
and a beefsteak type ("Monster") has a much larger one like a peg shaped
nose about an inch long.

Anyone knows what cause these?

It seems to be a genetic thing, When I was market gardening and we
were growing around Half an acre of commercial varieties we always had
a few, great for the Kids class in the local flower show as they make
good faces.

Thanks Dave do you know if it applies to some varieties more than others or
is it a general thing for all varieties?

And, you're right about the faces, that is exactly what the ones I've had up
to now looked like, but today's picking took on the appearance of another
part of human anatomy. I asked my son-in-law to help me harvest some as he
loves gardening but can't do more than maintenance in their current rental
house. He was picking on the "Monster" bush and suddenly started laughing.
The tomato he showed me was very misshapen as it was 2 distinct globes with
a small protruberance in the centre. As he held it up to show me he said:
"Mumps?".

We got a bucket and a half of toms and I now need to figure out what to do
with them. I've made chutney, sauce, pulp/puree and bottled chunks. Juice
I suppose. I've longed for years for a "Great Tomato Glut" to happen again
but this rate of production is finally getting beyond silly.