Old 17-03-2007, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default help needed plz

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 08:49:18 +0000, Pam Cook wrote
(in article ):

hi,
new to the group...I have a problem that I hope u can help me with
plz.....We have a pond, natural, no liner or anything, I have planted
daffodills all round it but the wild ducks have brought a plant that is
choking them,, it is a tall grass like plant with spikey stalks and little
brown balls that grow part way up the stem.... It is spreading like fury,,
even tho' hubby dug it up last year...originally they were individual
plants, but now they are just continual....Is there anything I can use to
get rid of them that won't harm other plants or the hundreds of fish that
breed in the pond...or..frogs or frogspawn etc.??? I am at a loss as to what
to do.....
Thanks,
Pam

Pam, welcome to the group although you have joined it at an all-time low in
its history. However, please don't be put off but just try to avoid the flak
if you can :-)

I have a pond too, but I can't identify your plant from the description,
although someone else may instantly recognise it. Is it possible to take a
photo and put it on a web site somewhere so we can all look at it? There are
plenty of free photo-hosting places around. Also, is it growing in
particularly boggy patches?

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK

Old 17-03-2007, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/3/07 10:26, in article ,
"Pam Cook" wrote:

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...

snip

I have a pond too, but I can't identify your plant from the description,
although someone else may instantly recognise it. Is it possible to take
photo and put it on a web site somewhere so we can all look at it? There
plenty of free photo-hosting places around. Also, is it growing in
particularly boggy patches?

--
Sally, Thank you for replying....I will ask my son to take a picture of
the plant, Someone said it was sedge????? It is about 18 inches high

Hello, Pam. Can I suggest you try a Google image search on wild pond plants
or something of that sort? Inevitably, you'll get some that don't apply to
UK but it might help you. If you take a picture, that will help but this
group doesn't take binaries so you'll need to put it up on a web site
somewhere for everyone to look at. I wonder if your plant could be a Carex
of some sort? Some of those are known as sedges. There's one called Carex
muskingumensis* which might just fit that description. Getting rid of it is
another matter altogether - I can't help there. ;-(
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 17-03-2007, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sally Thompson writes
[...]

It sounds like one of the rushes or sedges. I'm assuming it's growing in
the ground around the pond rather than in the pond itself, so there are
two questions:
a) has the area got wetter over recent years, thus allowing this thing
to flourish? In which case, it may be becoming too wet for the daffs, so
it may be a lost cause.
b) if not, then would applying something like glyphosate to individual
plants have any ill effects on the amphibian life?

--
Kay
Old 17-03-2007, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

it is a tall grass like plant with spikey stalks and little
brown balls that grow part way up the stem....

Although I have a book giving the wild flower key by Dr Francis Rose
(revised and expanded 2nd edition), the info you give is insufficient to
identify the plant accurately but I believe it to of the allium family.

How to get rid of it? Keep cutting it down to ground level and/or keep
digging!

Lionel

Old 17-03-2007, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Lionel writes

it is a tall grass like plant with spikey stalks and little
brown balls that grow part way up the stem....

Although I have a book giving the wild flower key by Dr Francis Rose
(revised and expanded 2nd edition), the info you give is insufficient to
identify the plant accurately but I believe it to of the allium family.

Pam's later comment
.the stalks of the plant are round and very sharp at
the end (I got poked in the eye by one last year...ouch !)

would rule out alliums.

Rose doesn't cover grasses, sedges and rushes, does it?
--
Kay

Old 17-03-2007, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Sally Thompson writes
[...]

I'd plump for Juncus conglomeratus, which on glancing in Keble-Martin
seems quite distinctive. It's also quite a common plant.

a) has the area got wetter over recent years, thus allowing this thing
to flourish? In which case, it may be becoming too wet for the daffs,
so it may be a lost cause.
b) if not, then would applying something like glyphosate to individual
plants have any ill effects on the amphibian life?

The surfactants in glyphosate formulations are said to be toxic to
amphibians.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 17-03-2007, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message

Rose doesn't cover grasses, sedges and rushes, does it?
--
Kay

Welcome again - plz would adjust your date !
Sorry to interrupt.
Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 17-03-2007, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 18 Mar, 12:12, "Pam Cook" wrote:
"K" wrote in message

Sally Thompson writes
[...]

Hi Kay, about 3 years ago 3 or 4 of these plants just appeared, not a
problem at first, narrow at the bottom and fanning out, they grew slowly
on the ground at the side of the pond and looked quite arractive, then
last year hubby tidied up the edges of the pond and dug out all he could
of them, as they were spreading too much....but they appeared again and
now they are coninuously growing round about a third of the pond, the
daffs are thriving where these plants aren't...but haven't come up at all
where these plants are...Will put photos up as soon as my son comes
home....

Thank-you all for the comments and suggestions....Very helpful group.
Pam

Have a look at this link, could be what you have.
http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/orga...weed.php?id=65

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 17-03-2007, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Sally Thompson writes
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 08:49:18 +0000, Pam Cook wrote
(in article ):

It sounds like one of the rushes or sedges. I'm assuming it's growing in
the ground around the pond rather than in the pond itself, so there are
two questions:
a) has the area got wetter over recent years, thus allowing this thing
to flourish? In which case, it may be becoming too wet for the daffs, so
it may be a lost cause.
b) if not, then would applying something like glyphosate to individual
plants have any ill effects on the amphibian life?

--
Kay

Its probably the sort of sedge you get in damp meadow land, regular cutting
is the only thing you can do but if its growing, I would be surprised if
your daffs will last for long as it sounds as if the ground may be too wet
for them.
I don't think Glysophate is good near water courses as its lethal to most
creatures in the water.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 17-03-2007, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Pete Stockdale writes

"K" wrote in message

Rose doesn't cover grasses, sedges and rushes, does it?

Welcome again - plz would adjust your date !

Certainly - what would you like me to adjust it to?
--
Kay
Old 17-03-2007, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message

Certainly - what would you like me to adjust it to?

Not addressed to you -my request was to the O.P. --Pam

Sorry to confuse !
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 17-03-2007, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 19:13:36 +0000, Pete Stockdale wrote
(in article ):

"K" wrote in message

Certainly - what would you like me to adjust it to?

Not addressed to you -my request was to the O.P. --Pam

Sorry to confuse !

Ah, now I understand! The OP's post is dated tomorrow at 08.49 :-)

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK

Old 18-03-2007, 01:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Cook" wrote
new to the group...I have a problem that I hope u can help me with
plz.....We have a pond, natural, no liner or anything, I have planted
daffodills all round it but the wild ducks have brought a plant that is
choking them,, it is a tall grass like plant with spikey stalks and little
brown balls that grow part way up the stem.... It is spreading like
fury,, even tho' hubby dug it up last year...originally they were
individual plants, but now they are just continual....Is there anything I
can use to get rid of them that won't harm other plants or the hundreds
of fish that breed in the pond...or..frogs or frogspawn etc.??? I am at a
loss as to what to do.....

Welcome to URG, sounds like a rush/sedge and probably the Compact Rush
(Juncus conglomeratus). You should not even think of using any weedkillers
near water so I'm afraid it's just a case of digging out where possible and
cutting back constantly where it's not to stop it seeding around.
Sorry, there is no easy cure, except that I've heard it likes acid
conditions so perhaps a check on the pH and if below 7 some correction of
the pH to 7+ may help but I don't know for certain that it would.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 18-03-2007, 01:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi,
It may be only 18 inches high at present but give it chance
The brown balls are the seed heads.
Do not know what type of sedge it is, This link gives the nearest I can find
so far,
http://www.bioimages.org.uk/HTML/P3/P39318.php
Although the flower heads are more rounded than elongated.

It is spread by birds in their droppings as well as other means.
It will grow in the pond if you let it, that will contain it.
except for seed dispersal.
In one of my ponds, it has colonised a corner, on trying to remove it, we
had several disestablished, and unhappy newts, who had burrowed into the
roots and nested, need less to say wifey returned it to the water....

Hope this is of some use.
regards
Cineman

Its root system is quite vigorous and when it gets into containers, as it
will, it is difficult to pull up.

Keep pulling it out when it is still quite small and its easier to control.
A l;arge clump will have to dug out, only way Im afraid.

"Pam Cook" wrote in message

[...]

No luck with plants! Plz Help!! Caz Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 19-01-2004 12:06 PM
Identity help, plz Jon Plant Science 5 01-10-2003 10:28 AM
Needed plant clipping in Canada PLZ Larry Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 07:26 AM
Needed plant clipping in Canada PLZ Larry Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 02-04-2003 02:44 PM
Help with Spelling Plz. Wendy Orchids 5 22-03-2003 03:56 AM