Old 17-03-2007, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomato seedlings

What is it with tomato seedlings. Blinking things..
I sowed Sungold, G. Delight and money-maker about a week ago, checked
every day and not a shoot or anything appearing. Checked sometimes twice
a day1

then didn't bother yesterday, but looked in the cupboard where I
germinate them and what did I find.
Stalks about 14 foot long! Well... OK maybe not 14 foot but really
etiolated seedlings which are no good for anything.
They did it on purpose.
I don't mind with the G. delight or the Money-maker but Sungold are
quite expensive.

I guess I'll have to buy some Sungold and sow them all again now.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 17-03-2007, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
What is it with tomato seedlings. Blinking things..
I sowed Sungold, G. Delight and money-maker about a week ago, checked
every day and not a shoot or anything appearing. Checked sometimes twice a
day1

I sowed some in a pot for the greenhouse, only one has decided to germinate!

Now got to sow some more, in fact as I've just been reminded I'll go and do
it now!

Alan

Old 17-03-2007, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 17, 11:46 am, Janet Tweedy wrote:
What is it with tomato seedlings. Blinking things..
I sowed Sungold, G. Delight and money-maker about a week ago, checked
every day and not a shoot or anything appearing. Checked sometimes twice
a day1

then didn't bother yesterday, but looked in the cupboard where I
germinate them and what did I find.
Stalks about 14 foot long! Well... OK maybe not 14 foot but really
etiolated seedlings which are no good for anything.
They did it on purpose.
I don't mind with the G. delight or the Money-maker but Sungold are
quite expensive.

I guess I'll have to buy some Sungold and sow them all again now.

Janet, the same happened with ours last week, it took just a couple of
days and there were like triffids. I have sown more and am keeping an
eye on these!

Judith

Old 17-03-2007, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 17 Mar, 15:17, "
wrote:
[...]

You could try potting them DEEP they will throw roots up the stem,
well worth trying rather than just dumping them.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 17-03-2007, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

If you have not already binned them try taking the tops out as cuttings. Or
plant them realy deep they will layer from the stems, you should not need to
resow

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 18-03-2007, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com, Dave
Hill writes

You could try potting them DEEP they will throw roots up the stem,
well worth trying rather than just dumping them.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

I do that with the shoots I pull off the plant when taking off the side
shoots, they generally root well.
Haven't thought about doing it with the seedlings, might have a go then

Thanks for the suggestion David.

Janet
Old 18-03-2007, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlie Pridham
writes

If you have not already binned them try taking the tops out as cuttings.

Ah but they are only just emerges seedling at the moment, not sure that
they would root. Would they?

Or
plant them realy deep they will layer from the stems, you should not need to
resow

Will do that now, though I did throw about half away, I kept the not o
long ones.