Old 17-03-2007, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A reasonable TV programme!

Good lord I actually enjoyed a TV programme last night. Open gardens was
really quite interesting though we didn't see a lot of detail in the
actual planting or the plants themselves. Rather the 'story' about
attempts at getting in the NGS book.
Why couldn't we see the actual plants properly?

Didn't think Carol Klein did too bad a job, though the people that
inspect the gardens, at least in Bucks., are not fearsome creatures
shown on the programme!

More programmes showing NGS gardens might encourage others to open their
gardens, it might inspire people to jazz up their own plots as often the
gardens are on a more intimate scale than the great public acres. It
might also generate visitors to the gardens all in a good cause.

I never did find out what dreadful diseases the first couple were
enduring so that they had to get into the NGS book quickly before they
had to downsize into a bungalow, but any couple that manage to get their
two teenage boys to help cultivate the plot must be blessed with some
special skills unknown to a lot of us

have I missed some good programmes in the series?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 17-03-2007, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

snip
Didn't think Carol Klein did too bad a job, though the people that
inspect the gardens, at least in Bucks., are not fearsome creatures
shown on the programme!

More programmes showing NGS gardens might encourage others to open their
gardens, it might inspire people to jazz up their own plots as often the
gardens are on a more intimate scale than the great public acres. It
might also generate visitors to the gardens all in a good cause.

snip
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Didn't see the prog but I agree with you about NGS needing more publicity
they have not done as well since Geoff Hamilton died, he was always a
staunch supporter.
Also agree that the vetters are not at all fearsome! ours down here are more
concerned with loos than gardens!
Anyone reading this who has never opened their gardens its great fun and if
you group together if your gardens are small then it becomes quite a fun
social thing (as well as safety in numbers!)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 17-03-2007, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote
Good lord I actually enjoyed a TV programme last night. Open gardens
was really quite interesting though we didn't see a lot of detail in
the actual planting or the plants themselves. Rather the 'story' about
attempts at getting in the NGS book.
Why couldn't we see the actual plants properly?

snip

It's always annoyng when they don't show more of the planting, or when
they do it's all arty close ups that don't give you any idea of scale or
what the plant is actually like, but this series concentrates more on
the layouts of the gardens concerned, and how the owners improve things
to be accepted for the NGS.

I thought that chap's idea of turning the despised ivy-draped shed at
the bottom of his plot into a studio to display his garden photography
was a masterstroke.

have I missed some good programmes in the series?

I think that one was only the second, so you haven't missed too much.
They first showed this series a few months ago in the afternoons with no
pre publicity. I missed the first few programmes then, so I'm very
pleased to see it repeated and given a better slot. I do hope Carol
Klein does more of these in future because I found this series very
enjoyable, and as Charlie says, it's all good advertising for the NGS
and the 'Yellow Book' gardens.

--
Sue

Old 17-03-2007, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17 Mar, 16:33, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
Anyone reading this who has never opened their gardens its great fun and if
you group together if your gardens are small then it becomes quite a fun
social thing (as well as safety in numbers!)

And to start the ball rolling, check The Yellow Book for the nearest
gardens ;o)

http://ngsded.clarity.uk.net/gen/shoponline.aspx