GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   hanging baskets (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/155468-hanging-baskets.html)

La Puce 19-03-2007 02:50 PM

hanging baskets

In the Greniad this week end there was a question about Legionaire's
disease and hanging basket.

The question was: Is my local council right to have banned hanging
baskets? The response was from Tom Smith and said: "They do apparently
pose some problems. It's not just that the baskets can fall on your
head. The water and soil dripping from them may contain Legionella,
and if you inhale the droplets you may catch Legionnaire's disease
from them. I've never seen a case report of it in a journal, but
someone says there's a risk. I love hanging baskets, and think the
enhancement they add to our quality of life far outweighs any such
risk."

I don't know which council banned the hanging baskets, but we've just
entered our neighbourhood in the Britain in Bloom comp. and just
hoping it's not the last year we have rights to hanging baskets!!

BoyPete 19-03-2007 06:58 PM

hanging baskets

La Puce wrote:
[...]

That was in Bury St. Edmunds, and the Council have now made a U turn and
allowed the baskets.
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Keith Kent 19-03-2007 08:32 PM

hanging baskets

"BoyPete" wrote in message
La Puce wrote:
[...]

You have got more chance muff diving the queen mother than catching
Legionaire's in this way!
Sorry to put it sooo cruedly!

BoyPete 19-03-2007 09:39 PM

hanging baskets

Keith Kent wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
La Puce wrote:
In the Greniad this week end there was a question about Legionaire's
disease and hanging basket.

snip
You have got more chance muff diving the queen mother than catching
Legionaire's in this way!
Sorry to put it sooo cruedly!

PLONK!
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

La Puce 20-03-2007 12:15 PM

hanging baskets

On 19 Mar, 18:58, "BoyPete" wrote:
That was in Bury St. Edmunds, and the Council have now made a U turn and
allowed the baskets.

Oh good. Ta. At least we won't hear about this again in a while, until
some bright spark comes up with yet more scientific reasons for not
using hanging baskets...