Old 24-03-2007, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default First butterfly today

That item on the yellow Magnolia reminds me that there was a lovely
sulphur yellow (Brimstone?) around today, taking it's life in it's
hands (or should that be wings) by flying between our 4 bird feeders
whilst the birds were feeding, and none paid it any attention.

The next thing will be the first swallow, I wonder if that will be
early this year, normally we see ours around the 12 - 14th April

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 25-03-2007, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote ...
That item on the yellow Magnolia reminds me that there was a lovely
sulphur yellow (Brimstone?) around today, taking it's life in it's
hands (or should that be wings) by flying between our 4 bird feeders
whilst the birds were feeding, and none paid it any attention.

The next thing will be the first swallow, I wonder if that will be
early this year, normally we see ours around the 12 - 14th April

The male Brimstone is usually the first butterfly to be seen each year and
it's colour is said to be why they are called butter-flys.
Our first this year was a couple of weeks ago when we saw a perfect Red
Admiral flying around the small garden that's behind the long water at RHS
Wisley. Lots of walls to catch the suns warmth there.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 25-03-2007, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote after
"Dave Hill" wrote
That item on the yellow Magnolia reminds me that there was a lovely
sulphur yellow (Brimstone?) around today, taking it's life in it's
hands (or should that be wings) by flying between our 4 bird feeders
whilst the birds were feeding, and none paid it any attention.

The next thing will be the first swallow, I wonder if that will be
early this year, normally we see ours around the 12 - 14th April

The birds at the feeders are not insectivorous David!

That said we have a couple of Robins that constantly feed from our seed only
feeders and they are certainly insect eaters as are the various species of
Tits.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 25-03-2007, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 25 Mar, 21:15, "Keith \(Dorset\)"
wrote:
The birds at the feeders are not insectivorous David!

Well except for the Tits.
I wonder if the butterfly knew that?
Today we had 2 Peacock butterflies around, and it wasn't exactly a
sunny day, and we are on the side of a mountain facing south but no
walls etc to give a lot of shelter.
I just think we breed them tough here in Wales.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 26-03-2007, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Bob,

Yes it was a badly thought out reply... I had this vision of finches and
sparrows, at your feeders - like we get here...... and by insectivores I
meant (trying to dig himself out of a trench!) - things that routinely
'flycatch'.

Good wishes,

Keith

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote after
"Dave Hill" wrote

Old 29-03-2007, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 Mar 2007 12:24:11 -0700, Dave Hill wrote:

That item on the yellow Magnolia reminds me that there was a lovely
sulphur yellow (Brimstone?) around today, taking it's life in it's
hands (or should that be wings) by flying between our 4 bird feeders
whilst the birds were feeding, and none paid it any attention.

The next thing will be the first swallow, I wonder if that will be
early this year, normally we see ours around the 12 - 14th April

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

I saw my first brimstone a couple of weeks ago, and another a week or so
ago. Yesterday I saw what appears to have been a small white! Is that not a
bit on the soon side?

Andy

--
spargeatbtinternetdotcom