GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lupins & sweet corn - allotment advice (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/155963-lupins-sweet-corn-allotment-advice.html)

Paul Waites 28-03-2007 11:14 AM

Lupins & sweet corn - allotment advice

Hi all,

A couple of allotment related questions,

I have lots of Lupin seeds collected from my garden and have read that
Lupins make a good green manure being a legume and provided they are dug
back in before they flower.

My question is can I use any lupin variety as I have lots of seeds from
my garden varieties.

Also, is there any problem with planting two varieties of sweet corn. I
was advised by someone that because they are wind pollinated it is
advisable not to plant two different varieties on the same plot.

Cheers,

Paul.

Nick Maclaren 28-03-2007 12:10 PM

Lupins & sweet corn - allotment advice

In article ,
Paul Waites writes:

| A couple of allotment related questions,
|
| I have lots of Lupin seeds collected from my garden and have read that
| Lupins make a good green manure being a legume and provided they are dug
| back in before they flower.
|
| My question is can I use any lupin variety as I have lots of seeds from
| my garden varieties.

Yes.

| Also, is there any problem with planting two varieties of sweet corn. I
| was advised by someone that because they are wind pollinated it is
| advisable not to plant two different varieties on the same plot.

That applies primarily to the "extra sweet" varieties.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.