GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lime (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/155982-lime.html)

Melanie 28-03-2007 09:18 PM

Lime

Can lime be added to the soil immediately prior to planting brassicas and
peas?

Many Thanks

FarmI 29-03-2007 01:58 AM

Lime

"Melanie" wrote in message
Can lime be added to the soil immediately prior to planting brassicas and
peas?

If it's ag. lime then best to do it a few weeks before. If it's dolomite
then you could probably get away with it at the time of planting if that is
the only time you can do it. I'd add it after in a thin scattering after
the brassicas are planted though - probably over cautious but that's what
I'd do.

Robert \(Plymouth\) 29-03-2007 08:09 AM

Lime

Melanie wrote:
: Can lime be added to the soil immediately prior to planting brassicas
: and peas?
:
: Many Thanks

Yes but it's better added far earlier. For brassicas I add a small handful
to eavery planting hole

Melanie 29-03-2007 07:08 PM

Lime

"Melanie" wrote

Can lime be added to the soil immediately prior to planting brassicas and
peas?

Thanks for the replies. So, I won't be poisoned if I lime brassicas
immediately before planting? I have visions of the vegetables sucking up
the lime which I eat and then I drop dead !

Regards.

Gill Matthews 29-03-2007 07:23 PM

Lime

In article , says...
"Melanie" wrote

Can lime be added to the soil immediately prior to planting brassicas and
peas?

Thanks for the replies. So, I won't be poisoned if I lime brassicas
immediately before planting? I have visions of the vegetables sucking up
the lime which I eat and then I drop dead !

Regards.

No if you add too much and put them in too soon merely the brassicas will
drop dead.

Gill M

Robert \(Plymouth\) 29-03-2007 07:32 PM

Lime

Melanie wrote:
: "Melanie" wrote
:
:: Can lime be added to the soil immediately prior to planting
:: brassicas and peas?
:
:
: Thanks for the replies. So, I won't be poisoned if I lime brassicas
: immediately before planting? I have visions of the vegetables
: sucking up the lime which I eat and then I drop dead !
:
: Regards.

No I doubt you can harm brassicas with the amount of lime we gardeners would
put on

Dave Hill 29-03-2007 09:37 PM

Lime

On 29 Mar, 19:32, "Robert \(Plymouth\)" beachcom...@ultimate-
anonymity.com wrote:
Melanie wrote:

: "Melanie" wrote
:
:: Can lime be added to the soil immediately prior to planting
:: brassicas and peas?
:
:
: Thanks for the replies. So, I won't be poisoned if I lime brassicas
: immediately before planting? I have visions of the vegetables
: sucking up the lime which I eat and then I drop dead !
:
: Regards.

No I doubt you can harm brassicas with the amount of lime we gardeners would
put on

You wouldn't drop dead even if you chewed sticks of Chalk.
The only problem you can get from over liming a plot is that you may
get a magnesium deficiency, but you can always water with Epsom Salts
if this occurs.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.