Old 30-03-2007, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Prunus incisa

I'm afraid I don't remember who recommended this but I'm in their debt! Ray
had to go down to the Duchy Nursery the other day and he brought me back a
Prunus incisa Kojo-no-mai. It's a gorgeous plant and a good one for people
looking for smaller trees as it's slow growing to 3 metres. We've planted it
among the acers by the wildlife pond and it's in full bloom now, so it
flowers at a 'useful' time of year, too.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-03-2007, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
I'm afraid I don't remember who recommended this but I'm in their
debt! Ray
had to go down to the Duchy Nursery the other day and he brought me
back a
Prunus incisa Kojo-no-mai. It's a gorgeous plant and a good one for
people
looking for smaller trees as it's slow growing to 3 metres. We've
planted it
among the acers by the wildlife pond and it's in full bloom now, so
it
flowers at a 'useful' time of year, too.

I'm not sure if it was me who recommended that one, but I have
certainly in the past recommended P. incisa 'Pendula' Ours is still a
delightful miniature weeping tree and in full bloom now - a soft
delicate pink that will fade to white soon.
Our 'Kojo-no-mai' looks as if it will take a great many years to reach
anything like 3 metres - a lovely little plant though.

--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp

Old 30-03-2007, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/3/07 13:10, in article , "Rod"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Well, if it was you, thank you! Ours is tiny, only around 2' but it's still
a thing of beauty. And to my real delight a customer brought in a whole lot
of Stachyurus cuttings the other day - another thing that was on my 'want'
list.

Old 30-03-2007, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in a message:
I'm afraid I don't remember who recommended this but I'm in their debt!
Ray had to go down to the Duchy Nursery the other day and he brought me
back a Prunus incisa Kojo-no-mai. It's a gorgeous plant and a good one
for people looking for smaller trees as it's slow growing to 3 metres.
We've planted it among the acers by the wildlife pond and it's in full
bloom now, so it flowers at a 'useful' time of year, too.
--

Hi Sacha,

I wrote the original message to the group. My little tree is five years old
this year, just over 7 feet tall and like yours, in full flower now. I have
it growing in a semi shaded position where it receives sun in the early
morning and late afternoon/evening during the spring and summer months. The
rest of the time it is in shade. As recommended, I give it a slight trim in
the early autumn to keep it in reasonable shape. It IS a super little tree,
coming into its own in spring and early autumn when the leaves change colour
to all shades of brown. Just a word of caution however, don't be too heavy
handed with the trimming, remember the trunk grows with the tree and can,
after a few years, make your Prunus's trunk look too big for the rest of the
tree. Look after it well, and I hope you and your husband Ray enjoy it
throughout the seasons.

MikeCT

Old 30-03-2007, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/3/07 14:43, in article ,
"MikeCT" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in a message:
I'm afraid I don't remember who recommended this but I'm in their debt!

snip
I wrote the original message to the group. My little tree is five years old
this year, just over 7 feet tall and like yours, in full flower now. I have
it growing in a semi shaded position where it receives sun in the early
morning and late afternoon/evening during the spring and summer months. The
rest of the time it is in shade. As recommended, I give it a slight trim in
the early autumn to keep it in reasonable shape. It IS a super little tree,
coming into its own in spring and early autumn when the leaves change colour
to all shades of brown. Just a word of caution however, don't be too heavy
handed with the trimming, remember the trunk grows with the tree and can,
after a few years, make your Prunus's trunk look too big for the rest of the
tree. Look after it well, and I hope you and your husband Ray enjoy it
throughout the seasons.

Very many thanks, Mike. We're so pleased with it because the Daphnes are
over, as is the mimosa and this is flowering at just the right time. It's a
dear, delicate little thing.

Old 31-03-2007, 02:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
I'm afraid I don't remember who recommended this but I'm in their debt!

Me!

--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 31-03-2007, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , MikeCT
writes

I wrote the original message to the group.

And me!
a friend got it for me from Wisley and I must say it is really pretty
and no great ambitions to be a forest tree! It even looks pretty with no
leaves and is especially good in the autumn.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 31-03-2007, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/3/07 11:13, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , MikeCT
writes

I wrote the original message to the group.

And me!
a friend got it for me from Wisley and I must say it is really pretty
and no great ambitions to be a forest tree! It even looks pretty with no
leaves and is especially good in the autumn.

Another one I'm indebted to. ;-) Thank you.