GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Trailing Geraniums what compost? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/156066-trailing-geraniums-what-compost.html)

Draven 30-03-2007 02:41 PM

Trailing Geraniums what compost?

What is the best compost to use for trailing geraniums?

I heard on GQT that on the continent they take their containers and put them
in the basement over winter.
They do this year after year.

Do they change the compost?
What is their secret of such stunning displays?

Sacha 30-03-2007 07:20 PM

Trailing Geraniums what compost?

On 30/3/07 14:41, in article ,
"Draven" wrote:

What is the best compost to use for trailing geraniums?

All I can tell you is that we use a commercial compost mix by Sinclair that
is very fibrous and free draining. Ray suggests that you look for something
similar, or mix some coarse peat compost with John Innes No 1. He tells me
to emphasise that in hot weather you'll be watering them a lot so any
nutrients in the compost will leach out, so always add a dilution to the
watering can. In cooler weather, when you might only water once a week,
don't do that - wait for it to get hot again.

I heard on GQT that on the continent they take their containers and put them
in the basement over winter.
They do this year after year.

Do they change the compost?
What is their secret of such stunning displays?

Keep them dry and frost free. And yes, change the compost. It's not the
basement thing, as in dark, it's the frost free.
I used to be able to leave pelargoniums in window boxes outside all winter
in the CI's but every few years there'd be a frost that would wipe them out.
Some parts of the continent can do that, some can't, so they do the basement
thing.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

[...]