GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Are Vine Weevil Beetles killed by systemic insecticide ?? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/156116-vine-weevil-beetles-killed-systemic-insecticide.html)

luke58 31-03-2007 07:39 AM

Are Vine Weevil Beetles killed by systemic insecticide ??

Just a simple question.

Are Vine Weevil Beetles killed by systemic insecticide ??

If so what type ??

As I seem to remember (years ago) having weevils all over my newly
planted apple trees. Literally stripping the leaves to bare skeletons.

I know that they were probably not the same type of weevil. But I
manged to control them with systemic insecticide. Now that the trees
are bigger I have no problems with them.

Merryterry2000 31-03-2007 03:50 PM

Are Vine Weevil Beetles killed by systemic insecticide ??

On 31 Mar, 07:39, luke58 wrote:
Just a simple question.

Are Vine Weevil Beetles killed by systemic insecticide ??

If so what type ??

As I seem to remember (years ago) having weevils all over my newly
planted apple trees. Literally stripping the leaves to bare skeletons.

I know that they were probably not the same type of weevil. But I
manged to control them with systemic insecticide. Now that the trees
are bigger I have no problems with them.

What type? Do you mean what type of Vine Weevil or Systemic
Insecticide? I grow a lot of fuschias and have had problems on and off
for many years. I find that 'Provado' Vine Weevil killer does the
trick and this is a systemic and contact. They creep back gradually
back another dose does the trick for a couple of years..

Charlie Pridham 01-04-2007 08:37 AM

Are Vine Weevil Beetles killed by systemic insecticide ??

"luke58" wrote in message
Just a simple question.

Are Vine Weevil Beetles killed by systemic insecticide ??

If so what type ??

As I seem to remember (years ago) having weevils all over my newly
planted apple trees. Literally stripping the leaves to bare skeletons.

I know that they were probably not the same type of weevil. But I
manged to control them with systemic insecticide. Now that the trees
are bigger I have no problems with them.

Most insecticides will kill them, but only as a contact killer and they
hide! so the more effective control is to kill the grub stage,
Intercept/Pravado is good at both.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Sacha 01-04-2007 10:37 AM

Are Vine Weevil Beetles killed by systemic insecticide ??

On 1/4/07 08:37, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"luke58" wrote in message
Just a simple question.

Are Vine Weevil Beetles killed by systemic insecticide ??

If so what type ??

As I seem to remember (years ago) having weevils all over my newly
planted apple trees. Literally stripping the leaves to bare skeletons.

I know that they were probably not the same type of weevil. But I
manged to control them with systemic insecticide. Now that the trees
are bigger I have no problems with them.

Most insecticides will kill them, but only as a contact killer and they
hide! so the more effective control is to kill the grub stage,
Intercept/Pravado is good at both.

And nematodes. ;-)

--
Sacha