GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Protecting slow-worm reproduction in compost? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/156175-protecting-slow-worm-reproduction-compost.html)

Houston 01-04-2007 04:42 PM

Protecting slow-worm reproduction in compost?

What time of year do slow-worms produce young? Today, turning compost
heap, I came across several large ones; and unusually, two coiled
together. Didn't want to disturb nest - if they have such a thing - as
they don't seem so common as a few years back. Are youngsters bornlive
or as eggs?
Any pointers appreciated.

Bob Hobden 01-04-2007 04:47 PM

Protecting slow-worm reproduction in compost?

"Houston" wrote ...
What time of year do slow-worms produce young? Today, turning compost
heap, I came across several large ones; and unusually, two coiled
together. Didn't want to disturb nest - if they have such a thing - as
they don't seem so common as a few years back. Are youngsters bornlive or
as eggs?
Any pointers appreciated.

I know it's BBC Wales but lots of stuff here...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/nature/si...low_worm.shtml

--
Regards
Bob H

Peter James[_2_] 02-04-2007 07:43 AM

Protecting slow-worm reproduction in compost?

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 16:42:30 +0100, Houston wrote
(in article ):

What time of year do slow-worms produce young? Today, turning compost
heap, I came across several large ones; and unusually, two coiled
together. Didn't want to disturb nest - if they have such a thing - as
they don't seem so common as a few years back. Are youngsters bornlive
or as eggs?
Any pointers appreciated.

I have taken the liberty of re-posting this question on the
uk.rec.natural-history newsgroup.

I'll re-post any replies here, as and when they come int.