GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Water supply pipe, diameter and flow drop? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/156244-water-supply-pipe-diameter-flow-drop.html)

Chris Wilson 03-04-2007 02:04 PM

Water supply pipe, diameter and flow drop?

I want to run a water supply from the house 3/4 inch riser to a piece of
additional land we have bought, a distance of some 100 or so metres. I
don't want a big flow drop, what sort of diameter pipe should I use
(thinking alkathene type pipe here), and where is the cheapest place to
order from, with some fittings? Thanks.
--
Best Regards,
Chris

echinosum 03-04-2007 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Wilson (Post 702399)
I want to run a water supply from the house 3/4 inch riser to a piece of
additional land we have bought, a distance of some 100 or so metres. I
don't want a big flow drop, what sort of diameter pipe should I use
(thinking alkathene type pipe here), and where is the cheapest place to
order from, with some fittings? Thanks.
--
Best Regards,
Chris

I think this will enable you to calculate the flow drop
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pe...rop-d_317.html
but you will need to know what flow/pressure you currently have at the riser to read the answer off the graph.

Keith Kent 03-04-2007 07:29 PM

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
I want to run a water supply from the house 3/4 inch riser to a piece of
additional land we have bought, a distance of some 100 or so metres. I
don't want a big flow drop, what sort of diameter pipe should I use
(thinking alkathene type pipe here), and where is the cheapest place to
order from, with some fittings? Thanks.
--
Best Regards,
Chris

You want to use 25mm MDPE ,screwfix are cheaper than a plumbers merchants i
use!
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...art_index= 10

Cheers Keith

Charlie Pridham 04-04-2007 07:49 AM

"Keith Kent" wrote in message

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
I want to run a water supply from the house 3/4 inch riser to a piece of
additional land we have bought, a distance of some 100 or so metres. I
don't want a big flow drop, what sort of diameter pipe should I use
(thinking alkathene type pipe here), and where is the cheapest place to
order from, with some fittings? Thanks.
--
Best Regards,
Chris

You want to use 25mm MDPE ,screwfix are cheaper than a plumbers merchants

use!

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...art_index= 10

Cheers Keith

I used 32mm for similar purpose, no loss of flow over 100M and much better
than the previous 15mm copper! didn't know about screwfix! got it from LBS
www.lbs-group.co.uk

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk