GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Garlic planting -too late? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/156468-garlic-planting-too-late.html)

Peter James[_2_] 07-04-2007 03:17 PM

Garlic planting -too late?

Am I too late to plant garlic this year? Alas, I've only just been able to
get the vegetable patch ready.

David Rance 07-04-2007 03:35 PM

Garlic planting -too late?

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 Peter James wrote:

Am I too late to plant garlic this year? Alas, I've only just been able to
get the vegetable patch ready.

Much too late. It should be planted preferably in November.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Dave Hill 07-04-2007 04:28 PM

Garlic planting -too late?

On 7 Apr, 15:35, David Rance wrote:
On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 Peter James wrote:

Am I too late to plant garlic this year? Alas, I've only just been able to
get the vegetable patch ready.

Much too late. It should be planted preferably in November.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Depends what you want to do with your Garlic. There is nothing wrong
with planting it now and then using it green, that is using it when
its in full leaf, rather like a thin leek, it's not as strong but
great to cook with, and you get a lot more plant for your money

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

Bob Hobden 07-04-2007 04:29 PM

Garlic planting -too late?

"David Rance" wrote
after Peter James asked:

Am I too late to plant garlic this year? Alas, I've only just been able
get the vegetable patch ready.

Much too late. It should be planted preferably in November.

I've even planted ours as early as September but normally we plant it in
October.

--
Regards
Bob H

Keith \(Dorset\) 07-04-2007 11:36 PM

Garlic planting -too late?

Why is everyone is so negative?

It's just a little early Peter. :-)

Best wishes,

Keith

WaltA 09-04-2007 02:26 AM

Garlic planting -too late?

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 15:17:18 +0100, Peter James wrote:

Am I too late to plant garlic this year? Alas, I've only just been able to
get the vegetable patch ready.

Depends what you want it to do for you !

If you want it to give you a good crop for the kitchen this year then
forget it.

however, if you want to preserve the variety for future use then yes,
plant it and grow it on.

Pam Moore 09-04-2007 11:16 AM

Garlic planting -too late?

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 15:35:11 +0100, David Rance
wrote:

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 Peter James wrote:

Am I too late to plant garlic this year? Alas, I've only just been able to
get the vegetable patch ready.

Much too late. It should be planted preferably in November.

David

Or even better in October when the soil is comparatively warm and it
can make some roots before winter.

Pam in Bristol