GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plum tree is too big (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/156558-plum-tree-too-big.html)

Lettuce Pray 09-04-2007 06:42 PM

Plum tree is too big

I have been asked to prune a plum tree that is too high. The lady
could not reach much of the fruit last year. I have had advice that I
could reduce it's height and start trying to re-train it, but there is
a risk of silver leaf finishing it off. I suspect it is quite an old
tree. It is growing against a south facing wall and must be about 20
feet at it's highest point. What are my options and your opinions?
Thanks, Johnny

Sacha 09-04-2007 06:50 PM

Plum tree is too big

On 9/4/07 18:42, in article
, "Lettuce Pray"
wrote:

I have been asked to prune a plum tree that is too high. The lady
could not reach much of the fruit last year. I have had advice that I
could reduce it's height and start trying to re-train it, but there is
a risk of silver leaf finishing it off. I suspect it is quite an old
tree. It is growing against a south facing wall and must be about 20
feet at it's highest point. What are my options and your opinions?

Offer to pick her plums for her?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sacha 09-04-2007 06:55 PM

Plum tree is too big

On 9/4/07 18:50, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 18:50:31 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 9/4/07 18:42, in article
, "Lettuce Pray"
wrote:

I have been asked to prune a plum tree that is too high. The lady
could not reach much of the fruit last year. I have had advice that I
could reduce it's height and start trying to re-train it, but there is
a risk of silver leaf finishing it off. I suspect it is quite an old
tree. It is growing against a south facing wall and must be about 20
feet at it's highest point. What are my options and your opinions?

Offer to pick her plums for her?

Steady on!

Well, we had a woman in the nursery today who was overheard rather loudly
telling her mother that she needed fertiliser for her bush. We all shoved
hankies in our mouths and turned our backs to the 'audience' but quite a lot
of them were reacting in the same fashion!

Robert \(Plymouth\) 09-04-2007 06:58 PM

Plum tree is too big

Lettuce Pray wrote:
: I have been asked to prune a plum tree that is too high. The lady
: could not reach much of the fruit last year. I have had advice that I
: could reduce it's height and start trying to re-train it, but there is
: a risk of silver leaf finishing it off. I suspect it is quite an old
: tree. It is growing against a south facing wall and must be about 20
: feet at it's highest point. What are my options and your opinions?
: Thanks, Johnny

I know I wouldn't do anything until the summer

Keith \(Dorset\) 12-04-2007 09:23 PM

Plum tree is too big

It is very important to wait until 'summer' as someone else has pointed out
here. Don't ever cut or prune a plum until all possible chance of frost is
over. June would be a good time - before fruits really begin to develop.

Cut out any branches, large or small, that are dead, damaged or just
'cluttering the look' of the tree. Make sure that the cuts are clean and
sloping so that water can run off. Paint over the cuts with a proprietary
tree paint. (I never bother with the latter, but you had better be safe than
sorry).

Remove any suckers from the base of the tree at the same time. Clear weeds
away and put down a good mulch of garden compost

Keith

oups.com...