Old 09-04-2007, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any pond keepers on URG?

Hi All
Long time lurker on URG, just wondering if there's many of you with
garden ponds?
I have two, main pond is about 15'x15', stocked with lots of orfe,
goldfish and shubunkins. The other is a small one with no fish, just for
the wildlife, although the frogs & toads seem to have shunned it this
year.
There's also a raised fish pond down at my mums place that I built and
look after.

The 'net seems fairly dead these days for pond discussions. Rec.ponds
group spammed to death (now a rec.ponds.moderated version for those that
didn't know, although I haven't used it yet as its not carried by
Plusnet (yet)).

Anyway, I'm in looking to buy a couple of new pumps this year, anyone
got experience of Hozelock Titan (3000) or Fishmate (3000)?
Ditto Oase Aquamax kit, as I may replace my main pond pump this season
too.

Cheers
--
steve
Old 09-04-2007, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steven Briggs" wrote
[...]

Yes, I too am a pondkeeper (Koi), indeed I've kept and bred fish of various
sorts since I was a young child. Regarding pumps, I have been impressed by
Oase pumps and have an Aquamax running the venturi, and would strongly
suggest you check those out above all else.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 09-04-2007, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Steven Briggs wrote:
[...]

Hi Steve. Yep, I have a pond, smallish,.......... goldfish, comets,
shubunkin, and two koi. I have a Titan 2000, and have no probs.
There are a number of pond forums, if you like that presentation.......I
suggest a recent one.....http://www.forums.pondlife.eu/forum/index.php
Check Oase support before you buy.
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 09-04-2007, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Steven Briggs wrote:

Long time lurker on URG, just wondering if there's many of you with
garden ponds?

Well yes, if (former) colonials are allowed.
I found rec.ponds useful with just a little killfiling and ignoring of the
idiots, and the moderated group is starting off nicely, though not a lot
going on yet.
My pond isn't strictly speaking a "garden" pond, since it's about 2/3 acre
and earth bottomed. It has a bunch of large-mouth bass and until last
winter, one Koi. I'll be replacing him this summer when things warm up.
At the moment, about half the surface is still frozen, in east-central
(new) York.

Can't advise on pumps, because the cattails and water lilies take care of
that.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Steven Briggs
writes
[...]

We have two Oase Aquamax and I have been very pleased with them over the
past seven years Koi + 1 tench).
--
June Hughes

Old 11-04-2007, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks all.

In message , BoyPete
writes
Hi Steve. Yep, I have a pond, smallish,.......... goldfish, comets,
shubunkin, and two koi. I have a Titan 2000, and have no probs.

I have (had) a Titan 3000 on Mum's pond, often wouldn't start properly,
just bouncing away on its mechanical rotation pawls. I've now clumsily
bust the shaft and rotor trying to "improve" things. Duh. I might try to
get replacement parts or a new Fishmate pump is only about £55.
Meanwhile I just set put the filter (Bioforce) back into action on this
pond with one my old trusty Otter pumps. Only the 300gph model but it
seems very close in performance to the Titan 3000 (i.e 3000 lph or
660gph).

There are a number of pond forums, if you like that presentation.......I
suggest a recent one.....http://www.forums.pondlife.eu/forum/index.php

I'll keep an eye on that one thanks, although I'm not fond of fragmented
php forums. Probably due to using "all in one" usenet for many years.

Check Oase support before you buy.

I will be, as the manuals appear to be total crap, lacking in any useful
information.
The new Aquamax Eco looks good though.
--
steve
Old 13-04-2007, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Steven Briggs
writes
The 'net seems fairly dead these days for pond discussions. Rec.ponds
group spammed to death (now a rec.ponds.moderated version for those
that didn't know, although I haven't used it yet as its not carried by
Plusnet (yet)).

A note for any Plusnet users, rec.ponds.moderated _is_ now available on
their news server.
--
steve