GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cistus Corbariensis: transplant advise pls. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/156889-cistus-corbariensis-transplant-advise-pls.html)

GeoffH 15-04-2007 03:41 PM

Cistus Corbariensis: transplant advise pls.

Hello all,
It's about 4 years old and in the wrong place.
It's 2ft long and has grown sideways to get away from other plants.
I need to transplant it into a more favourable position that I have.
Suggestions please.
Thanks

GeoffH
(The Pirate)
Norfolk - UK not VA

Charlie Pridham 16-04-2007 01:24 PM

"GeoffH" halgate wrote in message
Hello all,
It's about 4 years old and in the wrong place.
It's 2ft long and has grown sideways to get away from other plants.
I need to transplant it into a more favourable position that I have.
Suggestions please.
Thanks

GeoffH
(The Pirate)
Norfolk - UK not VA

They do not like being moved but if its got to go its got to go! I would
wait till after flowering then trim and shift.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

GeoffH 19-04-2007 09:42 AM

Cistus Corbariensis: transplant advise pls.

Hello Charlie,

They do not like being moved but if its got to go its got to go!I would
wait till after flowering then trim and shift.

Was afraid someone would say this.
Had to move it a days before your post.
Trimmed half of the horizontal branches to a vertical bud.
Let's see what happens.
Regards

GeoffH
(The Pirate)
Norfolk - UK not VA

GeoffH 25-04-2007 08:47 AM

Cistus Corbariensis: transplant advise pls.

Forgot to include:
Can I prune the plant drastically to get rid of the horizontal growth?
Cheers
Geoff

Charlie Pridham 25-04-2007 09:59 AM

Cistus Corbariensis: transplant advise pls.

"GeoffH" halgate wrote in message
Forgot to include:
Can I prune the plant drastically to get rid of the horizontal growth?
Cheers
Geoff

They also are not keen on that! better to start with a new plant, try and
remember to strike some cistus cuttings about every 4 or 5 years and have a
policy of pensioning off old plants as they become leggy and old, they are
not long lived and only look great when young and middle aged, old plants
can look rather un sightly, cuttings strike well enough in early Autumn in a
cold frame or similar.

GeoffH 26-04-2007 10:48 AM

Cistus Corbariensis: transplant advise pls.

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 09:59:34 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

They also are not keen on that! better to start with a new plant, try and
remember to strike some cistus cuttings about every 4 or 5 years and have a
policy of pensioning off old plants as they become leggy and old, they are
not long lived and only look great when young and middle aged, old plants
can look rather un sightly, cuttings strike well enough in early Autumn in a
cold frame or similar.

Thanks for the tip.
Will use this one for cuttings this year.

GeoffH
(The Pirate)
Norfolk - UK not VA